Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about making a change...

Old 12-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking about making a change...

I used to use Thunderheads,years ago.

I shot a deer at 17 yards and the arrow entered slightly behind the front shoulder,or so I thought.Looked like a good hit so 30 minutes later I am tracking.30 yards down the trail I find my arrow.The head was twisted to look like a spin wing vane.Bumped the deer and never found it.

I am assuming it cought the back of the shoulderblade and the spin of the arrow while hitting the back of the shoulderblade causing it to twist and stopped it dead in it's tracks.I know for a fact that a Rocket expandable would have bent but continued on.

I should say that I have had as manyfailures with both.

I did try a 3 1/2" cut Rocket on a turkey.I tried to shoot it through the front and caught the breast bone and the arrow fell out.Low energy setups are not meant for large cut heads,even on turkey.This was my fault,never again.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

here is an entrance hole for a spitfire. I have several other pics of spitfire entrance holes. Yes they open upon impact.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used Hammerheads for the last 4 years. I have killed 5 or 6 deer each year. I can assure you the entrance holes are more than the size of any fixed blade head. The blades do open on impact. I wish I had a good pic of an entrance hole, but this is the best I could come up with. Go with as big a dia as you can. Most of my deer go less than 60 yds. maybe they wouldn't go any farther with smaller heads no way to know for sure. I do wait for the perfect shot and have had good shot placement which does help.

The pic is from my buck this year.

If I get another deer this year I will send you a better pic.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks TFOX

Hey Big John, you don't post much anymore but when you do, it's meaningful...LOL Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. Like I said, times/broadheads have changed. Appreciated.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is an entrance wound from a Rocket Miniblaster. I admit the deer was at an angle causing the head to slice along a few ribs before entrance.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob- That pic, as you can see, was a sharp angled shot which is supposed to make a "glance out". No such thing has ever happened to me while using spitfires. After a couple dozen kills using spitfires, I don't even carry my one arrow with a thunderhead anymore in my quiver. I have some other pics of entrance holes I'll try to find.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 PM

Love spitfires won't let you down, always a great blood trail, just perfect!!!
ORIGINAL: Hunterbrum

I know my NAP Spitfires make a big hole and leave a great blood trail.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just so it is clear.A spitfire,although a quality head,is designed for HIGH energy setups.Takes alot to open this style head.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Just so it is clear.A spitfire,although a quality head,is designed for HIGH energy setups.Takes alot to open this style head.
Great Point

Big John what is your KE on your arrow

I would guess right around 80 ft lb with your setup, how close am I?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im gonna vote for Rage or Snypers... Killed 3 w/ em and love them. I currently carry both snypers and magnus 4 blades... use the snypers for windy days..

Had problems w/ to large a cut dia on the jacknife style blades...

I think the rear opening is a much better method...

Quick Reply: Thinking about making a change...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.