Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about making a change...

Old 12-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned

Default RE: Thinking about making a change...

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I knew this is how this would turn out....I'm NOT looking for recommendations on broadheads.......I am looking for a big cutting diameter..

Rob, I understand your point COMPLETELY.....Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the blades on a Rocket sweep back the entrance hole will still be the cutting diameter of the head, yes? I know the tip will be in the animal close to an inch, but the blades will still be at the point of entry as they sweep back....So I am still going to get a good entrance hole.

I guess the real question is this.....Is a big hole better than a small hole?
Does a fat baby fart?
Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

You know a bigger hole is better, a no brainer.
That's my line of thinking as well.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:15 AM

Mobowhuntr: If I can remember when I get home probably at 11pm I'll take a couple pictures of my entrance and exit hole with a ruler for comparison. I have the hide in the garage. If not tonight then I'll get it done in the next couple of days.
--Millpond

Old 12-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

I shouldn't post this but am. This first part is only my opinion and that isn't worth much to some. But anyway, if the shot is in the vitals what difference does it really make how big the cutting diameter is? Where I can see a mechanical head helping is on possibly a marginal hit where the blades might reach farther out and cut an artery.

2nd part is what I have been told by bowhunting friends. One switched and loves them. A local shop dealer uses Spitfires and loves them. One of the guys I went to Colorado with last year tried out 3 brand new NAP heads right out of the package and one didn't open upon impact. Probably a burr or tiny piece of shaving, but it was enough for him to take his tried and true fixed heads. Last but not least and I cringe everytime I think of this..........I was talking to a farmer at the shop a couple of weeks ago. He adamantly stated he was not allowing anyone to hunt on him who used mechanical heads. His reason was he found 4 dead deer on his property and all were shot with mechanical heads. Maybe the hunters lacked enough KE, maybe they all made bad shots, maybe the shot angles were bad, maybe the shots were good but the mechanical heads didn't work correctly.........I don't know why and the farmer didn't say why or if he knew. That was enough to give me reassurance that I am completely happy with my fixed blade heads.
But to each their own.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will take a hole by my fix blade over any larger Mech.

I know everytime what size hole I will have on entrance and exit!

Judge a broadhead on your bad hits, that is the true measure of broadheads performance!!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:27 AM

Cougar, I 90% agree w/ you. If you hit em right, a target tip would kill them (theoretically) but the marginal hit is what I'm talking about....wouldn't a big diameter help?

Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mo, yes I agree on more cutting on a marginal hit. I am just not sold on them working correctly every time. Though I admit if I were to try one it would be a rearward opening mechanical. Enuff from me............I've already spouted my opinion off.[8D]
Old 12-10-2006, 11:35 AM

Thanks, Cougar. I appreciate it.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Rocket steelheads at a whopping 1 1/8" cut.Penetration is as good as any 3 blade head that they have been tested against.

IPERSONALLY have had more failures with fixed heads in the field than mechanicals.

The deer shot with the Steelheads expire within 20-30 yards in most cases.Of course all the shot placements have been perfect.

If I had a higher energy setup,I would use the Hammerheads by Rocket.

For the record,I use 3"feathers and I have fixed heads that under perfect conditions shoot with my mechanicals.I have a VERY WELL tuned bow but prefer mechanicals.

Personall preferences,funny aren't they.[8D]
Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

IPERSONALLY have had more failures with fixed heads in the field than mechanicals.
Explain that please?

Okay, now my question to the last two replies on NAP Spitfires, How is the entrance hole? Spitfires open through impact, not on impact correct?
MO, I'm asking that question..I want to know from exerienced users? The engineer in me says no, they open through the impact...the entrance is a puncture wound. I'd like to know from those that use that head if it differs.

Until many years ago and some life members here might remember, I was anti mechanical....this was back in the day and many are more perfected today. The first one's out were the Spitfires and they failed...THEN. What differs today.

I'm a fan of the Snypers and the Rage because of the way they open, I've killed what, 5 bucks with the Snypers, unbelievabel 2" plus entrance hole, and similiar exit. The only reason, ONLY reason I tried them was because of 5shot and his testings. I trust what he has to say about them.

Now, more to topic, yes, the biggest cutting diameter you can handle the better...that's obvious to me, if your off just a smidgeon from a vein/artery or whatever, the larger, the more damage. Again Obvious. I'm happy to know that your only reason to switch is because of cutting diameter and not for a "bandaid" as many others do.

Quick Reply: Thinking about making a change...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.