Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

December buck!! Updated w/ story

Old 12-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default December buck!! Updated w/ story

It all started w/ this crazy snow and ice storm we have in Missouri. After the MO rifle season I pretty much switch to just duck hunting, otherwise my dog will get a little mad. Well the snow and ice comes and after we slaughter ducks for a couple days everything freezes over and ends my duck hunting just long enough to get in a little bowhunting.

I call up my friend who lets me know that he has been seeing 9 does and 1 buck (not the one i shot) at our food plot of milo. Iwent out and hunted the nextevening, seeing the 9 does and my buck. I immediately decided i wanted to take this buck. The trouble was we didnt have a stand overlooking the milo. Our stand over looks the 2 acre clover which borders our 1 acre milo field. The next day at lunch my dad helps me reposition the stand. I started hunting right after we hung it. That night i had 20+ deer feeding in the milo!! Mostly does and fawns w/ one 4pt and one yearling 8 pt. Half the deer came right at dark so my buck could have been there but it was to dark to see him.

Now what did i do at dark w/ 20 deer in the field....I ended up staying in the stand until 630pm, an hour and a half after dark. The deer would not leaveso i finally played a coyote howler from my cell phone to give me some room to scurry out of there.Technology is great isnt it!

Because of the 2" of ice on the ground the only food the deer could get to was our milo, bingo!!Plus, the cold weather was forcing them to field earlier than normal. I couldnt have asked for a better situation.

The next night igoback to work and my friend ishunts my stand. He sees all the does and my buck but it never came into the field. Twodays after that, which was yesterday, i got back out. I had to move the stand again because ofa wind shift. I knew that i was pressuring the field alot but if i wanted to kill this buck i had to do it before the ice melted and the deer had other feed. At 400pm, four does cameout and worked right towards me. Just as i was debatingon shooting one i saw two bucks enter the field. The bigger of which wasmine. He made a beeline right to the best part of the milo fieldthat was exactly 45 yards from my stand.

And then he ate....and ate....and ate....It was now 440pm and i tell myself he's not going to give methat 30yd money shot. I picked out an opening in the milo to take him, ranged it at 42 ydsand then waited another 5 minutes for him to work his way there.

He never knew what hit him. After the arrow blew right thru both lungs he ran fifty yards and fell like over dead. He never even made it out of the field. He is my biggest buck w/ a bow and I neve been more proud of a deer.

You can bet that next year i will be planting milo and hoping for some ice again. BTW, that is the fourth deer ive taken w/ rage 3blades and they have worked beautifully.

Scored 118".

Old 12-10-2006, 01:48 AM

Default RE: December buck!!

Fantastic buck!

Congratulations, I'm looking forward to the story.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice buck. I also look forward to reading the story
Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

He is a purdy one...

Congratulations!

In the photo you look like you could be related to Chuck Adams; must be the smile and the hat...
Old 12-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

He is a purdy one...

Congratulations!

In the photo you look like you could be related to Chuck Adams; must be the smile and the hat...
LOL,

Great buck, congratulations to you. When I saw it I thought man these guys on 17 are on fire and I see you previously scored for team 17. I'm jealous of your multitag states.

I'm looking forward to your story.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:30 AM

Nice Buck GREAT JOB
Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Dec Buck, way to go!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!! Great Buck
Old 12-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the December buck!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats!!!! Nice buck.

Quick Reply: December buck!! Updated w/ story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.