Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF A BUCK BUMPS YOU??

Old 12-10-2006, 05:01 PM

Default RE: WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF A BUCK BUMPS YOU??

I would of creeped behind him and sat on him and went for a ride
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last turkey season I had a doe to walk right up to me stretch her neck out and take a sniff of my face net, she wasn't one foot from me. When she took that big whiff she acted like someone had hit her on the nose with a cattle prod, she hit a tree and fell down twice trying to get away. 2 1/2 yr. old six pt. get him out of the herd.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

hit her on the nose with a cattle prod, she hit a tree and fell down twice trying to get away.
Now thats funny right there - I don't care who you are!
Old 12-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol, I had something similar last week during gun season. I was participating in a deer drive (don't want to hear it so shhhh) and I was sitting with the wind in my favor and gun on my lap. The pusher down in the woods had deer run up the hill at me and they were so busy watching in his direction they backed right up to the downed tree I was sitting on.. Probably 3 or 4 feet away.. Huge rush, a doe and a small buck.. Just neat to be that close.. I sat there for probably 3 or 4 minutes until I heard someone come on the radio and yell "shoot the bleep bleep thing".... Ummm, no.. I didn't shoot, I just watched as they walked away.. Really really cool some of the stuff you experience while hunting.

I did think about poking one with the gun and yelling just to see how high it would jump before it ran but decided just to enjoy it...

So to answer your question I would have just sat there as still as possible.

Now I had a squirrel run down on me once and you would have thought thatI had some sort of alien on me, all the wierd ways I started throwing my arms and freaking out.. LOL I would love to have seen myself that day..
Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well to the critics.
I didn't want that buck to know i was there.
If he continued towards me he would have realized a being was in his woods.
I plan on taking him next year, Lord willing, and he may not use that path anymore if he knew a person was there.
He returned to the same trail tonight so my conclusions were right.
I doubt if he smelt me or saw me he would return that quickly if at all.
[hr]

I'm the kind of guy that will sit in a stand all night to avoid being seen or heard by deer!!