Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting the property line

Old 12-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting the property line

thanks for all the responses guys. i didnt go out today because it was raining, but if i do decide to do any more hunting out on that part of the property later this bow season i'll be sure to get permission to track beforei do. I realize this probably should have been taken care of before season, but i never got to it. unfortunately though, i havent gotten a deer out there in the 3 years ive hunted there, so it hasnt yet come up. im goin to college this fall and wont be huntin this spot for probably 4 years, so im not too worried about it. thanks again
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want the does for meat, and not so much the hunt, use a gun. I have a similar situation with one of my best stand sites. I will only use it during gun season.
30.06 or 12 ga with a 1 oz. rifled slug. They will drop right there where they're standing. Specially if you do a double front should shot, or single shoulder heart shot.
Good luck.
KP
Old 12-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

well everyone has good ideas.
on my line i have a similar situation.I litterally squat the line and fire down the line. Half the time Theyll go on my property half the time they go into conservatoin.Either way you need to be sure you get em back!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Forgive me....I'm new to all this, really....BUT....

I hunt man-made breaklines out of neccessity. I hunt adjacent to a parks system that doesn't allow hunting of any kind. I'm typically within 50 yds of said breakline.....and I've shot 3 deer that were shot on land I have permission to hunt....but went into the parks system and expired (though only 30-40 yds.).

This is perfectly legal....and I'm not stepping on another landowner or hunter's toes.

My main question is......WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DENY A HUNTER THE RIGHT TO CLAIM HIS DOWNED QUARRY????? It's unethical. Period.

This absolutely infuriates me.

Jeff
Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reread my post - because they set up on the exact corner and have a history of shooting well across the line.It is UNETHICAL as well as ILLEGAL to do this. They did have permission prior to this.

If this infuriates you, OH WELL! It is their fault.

Steve
Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Steve.....I did go back and re-read your post. If they're truly doing what you say (are you really looking at the blood trails?)....then I guess that's one way to handle it. Have you thought about calling the warden? Sheriff? I'd just hate for the deer to go to waste over a property line dispute.

Jeff
Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

I feel your pain. I'm in the EXACT same situation as the original poster (schobs). I have written permission to hunt 3 properties that are side-by-side. They are 13, 4 and 5 acres. The boundry for each property is a creek that seperates them from another property of over 150 acres. I don't want/need to hunt thatland, but if I arrow one on the property that I have permission to hunt, it could go across the creek and onto the ajoining place. I checked the county records and got the name of who owns it. It's a family who lives out of town and I can't find contact information for them. The land owners who have given me permission all say "no worries, if you shoot a deer and it crosses over there, go get it, nobody will know". Well, I'll know and to me it's not right. So....I only shoot deer that are walking away from the creek...with the logic that once hit they will run the way they were already going. I know it does not always happen that way, but so far it has worked. If one crosses over, I'll call a game warden and in the mean time I keep trying to get in touch with that land owner.
I also don't put myself right on the boundry, but give myself a good 30 yard buffer.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Another thought, quite often if you assure them you'll leave your weapons on your side of the fence they'll agree. Also offer to call them first and they can tag along if they want during the recovery. Usually they'll say that won't be necessary but the no weaponwould usually be accepted.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:06 AM

What I would do is hunt on the side where I have permission.Once and if I hit one and it happens to run into the neighboring property, I'll go and ask if I can track it there. Better yetwhy don't you just go and ask ahead of time so once youhit oneyou can just handle you business?If they're nice people i don't see why they wouldn't allow you this.

I hunt the edge of a forest preservemuch in the same mannerand I just wait for the deer to step out onto the legal side then thwack.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

I would have loved to get out there with my 30.06 and just dropped a doe or two, but WI's last gun season closed sunday and the last day i hunted out there with a gun was the thursday before. but like i said i'll be goin to college this fall and wont be hunting this area more than a weekend or two, so im not going to worry about it now. thanks for the advice though.