Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do if you seen a dog chaseing a deer?

Old 12-09-2006, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you do if you seen a dog chaseing a deer?

I'd have done the same thing. I love animals in general, and I love my dog like a son (I don't have kids, so I don't know that FOR SURE, but I'm sure it's at least close), so I trained him well and I keep an eye on him when he's outside. He don't run. Whether it's a car or an arrow, if he gets killed because I let him out, it's my fault. If he bites somebody because I let him out, it's my fault. If he hurts or kills someone else's dog because I let him out, it's my fault. And if he got out on accident and did any of these things, it's still my fault. I'd still get the vet-bills, or the hospital bill, or the damaged property bills. In either senario, I have to pay the consequences. And if I let him run, I understand the consequences and accept them, when I decide I'm too lazy to train him not to run or don't keep him resticted from running.

Don't mean to sound so cold about it, but if you're going to let your dog out just to run the country, there's lots of ways for that animal to get into trouble, and it's not just his safety that should be considered. There's other people and animals in the world that he could hurt or that could hurt him. Coyotes kill a big number of domestic pets all around our area (N.E. Illinois) every year.

My 2-cents. Don't flame me for it. If you don't agree, keep your dog on a leash. We have leash-laws where I live. And this is one of the reasons.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

WOW I'm kind of surprised at the majority of responses saying they'd whack the dog. I can see a wild dog, but not if it's a domestic dog that is someones pet. I'd be pissed that the pooch ruined my hunt for the day, but I definitely wouldn't kill Rover over a deer.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not true. I went to court on this 10 years ago. If the animal looks like it is puting anyone or anything in danger and is off the property owns property. I can be shot. My neighbor shot my English Pointer 10 years ago. I know![:@] BTW Ill shoot it if its my property I am on. As far as I am concearned it is just as wild as a Yote at that time.
ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

I cant tell you if you did the rght thing or not, ( I know in Mn, you can only shootdogs legally at certain times of the year, if you see them chasing deer) but I can tell yu that I would have done the same thing, if I had the shot. No questions asked.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:11 AM

i live in new york and they basically ask us to shoot any dog that is running deer if it were me i wouldnt of hesitated a bit to shoot it and yes i do own pets and yes i do love them but you need to keep your animal under control if you cant oh well your loss
Old 12-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

That's a tough call...my take on that is this...RULE #1:If I'm hunting, or just out on my property, and see a wild dog (a dog that I have no idea where he came from) or whatever, he's going down. RULE #2:If I recognize the dog (ie..one of my neighbors) I give them fair warning, then RULE #1 goes into effect. However, if it's not my property then better luck next time. MHO.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

this exact topic has been discussed dozens of times, and they all read the exact same. Half the people say they would whack the dog and half the people say its probably a speckled puppy pet of a little girl.

I think its pretty simple. Using common sense, if the dog is a mangy pit bull, chow mix type of dog with no collar then I probably would put it down...if it were a lab, golden retriever, pointer type dog with a collar- then I try to find the owner and fix the problem.

I would think there is not much gray area. A reasonable hunter can tell a wild dog from a pet IMO
Old 12-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

Either way, I probably would not shoot one. I just don't think I could do it. We even had a rottweiler that had been hanging out on our property for some time. I figured he wasn't just a wild dog because he always was with this little terrier type dog.
Anyways, on another note, none of my dogs were collars. The only reason is because they consists of 2 Siberian Huskies and a Malamute. There necks are rather big compared to their heads and they just take the collars off all the time. However, they have only got loose a couple times. But anyone that knows Huskies knows they will just run and run, really having no clue probably where they are going, but they just love to run. That is why they are supposed to have a fenced in yard. One time they got out because another dog in the area busted a hole in our fence and they all got out. The Malamute really didn't want to go anywhere though, but the other two Huskies, which are brother and sister, just ran and ran. I really don't have any idea how they would act around deer, but I could really see how they would be thought of as nice looking coyotes. But if someone saw them, and new they were huskies, and still shot them, I would be pissed. I mean, how many wild Huskies do you see out in the woods. Most people try to take them in because they are pretty nice dogs. Either way, I probably would have a talking to the person if one of my dogs were shot.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:19 AM

First of all I think the thread is a fake...........just another troll.

You guys need a reality check.........BAD!!

Talking about killing someone's pet......a lifelong companion to a child perhaps, all because it was following it's instincts...........just because those instincts have it chasing a stupid deer around (instead of a cat or squirrel) you want to kill it.

I thought this site did not allow threads that put hunting or hunters in a bad light and could be used by anti's in their efforts against hunting. A thread full of hunters saying they have or will kill neighbors pets is about as embarrassing as it gets.

It's a friggin' deer.

You shoot my dog............I shoot you. No questions asked.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

I had a similar encounter this fall. I was hunting public land and more than a mile from any house. I was sitting comfortably just soaking in all the great wilderness around me. Then it was interrupted by the sound of a dog barking. The barking continued to get louder and lounder, as the dog got closer and closer. Finally a young doe appeared in front of me, mouth gaping and sucking air, she looked as if she was about to pass out. She stopped for a moment, looked back, and took off in a slow, worn out run. I quickly got ready and prepared for a shot on a possibly trailing buck (or dog). About 15-20 seconds a dog apeared on the same exact trail as the doe. I came to full draw and noticed a collar around the dog's neck. I let down my bow and watched the dog carry on. I am not sure if he ever caught up with the deer or not, but it sure did make the rest of the evening's hunt a wash. I believe if that dog would have been a stray, I would have let an arrow fly. I know the dog was a long way from home, and probably should have been disciplined or shot, but I just couldn't bring myself to shoot a pet. So, being put in that situation, I know what I would do. I would shoot a stray and let the pet go. If I knew the owner of the pet, I would not hesitate to let them know about the situation. Then, if it happened again, I would would probably change my mind on shooting the pet. My 2 cents.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:07 PM

If you're going to shoot everything that ruins a hunting area, you should go to every new house that's being built in every new subdivision that's being built and take a machine gun and wipe out everyone. I gaurantee you they ruin a lot more hunting land every year than somebody's dog out running deer.
I hunt in a developed area on a very small piece of property and see dogs all the time. It's just another variable to me. One more thing that has to go right before I can kill a deer.
I'm with the guy that says if you kill my dog, I'll do my best to find you. You should have more respect for the dog. The owner is at fault.

Quick Reply: What would you do if you seen a dog chaseing a deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.