Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do if you seen a dog chaseing a deer?

Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you do if you seen a dog chaseing a deer?

The thing that popped out to me when I read the situation is what Rob/PA quoted. Might need some more details, but unless it was a chihuahua (sp?) coming at me, I'd probably have defended myself in some fashion.

In actuality, I had two dogs chasing a 4-pointer last year while I was in my stand. I heard the barking, then saw the deer and about 5 seconds later came the two dogs. I wouldn't have shot the dogs, but was more upset that the owner was letting them run like crazy on private land.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

What would I do? On my property I would whack the dog without hesitation.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cant tell you if you did the rght thing or not, ( I know in Mn, you can only shootdogs legally at certain times of the year, if you see them chasing deer) but I can tell yu that I would have done the same thing, if I had the shot. No questions asked.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

In PA, you have to prove the deer was in danger.....think about that, yeah, they have you by the arse if they want to fine you.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it was my dog, I would paddle his ass.

If it was an unknown dog, I would probably given him the same treatment you did.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of years ago, I was in one of my stands on my own property and somebody's coyote hound that was loose started running a deer. He ran that deer in about a half-mile circle about 3 times around. That will really kill a deer hunt. In fact It basically killed it for a couple of weeks.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I have seen both sides of this equation so I know what I would have done. When I was growing up we used to have a dog that was wolf/malmute/husky and it liked to chase deer. Now this dog was the kindest dog that you ever did see, and we tried tying it, chaining it, fencing it all to no avail, the dog would still get out or untied etc. So we finally came to the conclusion that we where going to have to shoot it. Well about 2 days after the dog got hit by a car. I guess that what comes around goes around and the dog got what was coming to it lol. If I was in your shoes I would have probably done the same thing, if in fact the dog did come after me it would have been dead. Some people shouldnt be allowed to own animals.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:13 PM

probably I would do what you did wack hm!!! , if the dog wants to attack me!
Old 12-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Typical Buck

Personally,
I think that was a terrible thing to do. What if the dog just got loose? What if his family was looking for him? What if he was some little girl's birthday present. You know, alot of people think of their pets, especially dogs as a part of their family. If someone shot one of my dogs when they got loose, I would find that S.O.B. and he would wish he was shot. I would get into name calling, but what would that accomplish......Kinda like shooting that dog.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:47 AM

i've had dogs all my life, love em to death, but its also real fruterating to see something like that screwing up an area you've worked hard on, but i think if i saw a collar no way, thats somebody's pet or like people were saying before could be some little kids pet.i would consider it out of frustration but i still dont know if i could let one fly at it, maybe try to get a hold of the dog and give it a good smack, but if it was wild and un-collared, it would be tough not to let an arrow fly at it. just my opinion

Quick Reply: What would you do if you seen a dog chaseing a deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.