Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sun at your back?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sun at your back?

I have figured out when/where does are crossing power lines into a strip of woods behind my subdivision. I am planning to be in my tree stand just inside this strip of woods where they will be entering. No leaves on the trees.. so I will not have much cover around me and will be pretty exposed. Once they pass me if they look back up at me the sun will be behind me. I am hoping this will give me an advantage.
Does this sound like a good plan, or would it be better to get in a tree where I am in the shade if possible?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sun at your back?

Thats a great question and one I have been considering. I don't have an answer for you. I always wonder if it is better to have the sun at your back, or in your face?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I've wondered this, too....but I take whichever the wind advantage gives me.

Interested to know th ereal answer, though....

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 01:00 PM

Unless you want to see stars all day, have the sun at your back. I don't know if they deer get blinded like us when they look into the sun but it could possibly give you the advantage you need.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reminds me of some old rules;
- never break a light ray (from the sun).
- Don't look into the sun, unless it is up wind.

Both hold some merit, I've found that when the sun is in my face I move alot more to make attempts at seeing better. Probably not a good thing.

I'd say, get in the shade, and if you have my luck, you will, and then it will be really cold and you'll wish you were in the sun!

Have fun...
Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

My honey hole.....I could sit with the sun at my back.....but the deer would be approaching me from behind. They don't seem to care which way the sun's hitting me....lol.

I just refer to get situated where I can see what's coming.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

My honey hole.....I could sit with the sun at my back.....but the deer would be approaching me from behind. They don't seem to care which way the sun's hitting me....lol.

I just refer to get situated where I can see what's coming.

Jeff
Actually having them approach from behind you isnt all that bad...Then you have a tree to hide behind between you and them. You can get away with alot more movement. You will have to shoot around it though and that can be annoying sometimes.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a catch 22 stand like that.. awesome deer travel through this inside corner, but the wind and sun at my back for the evening hunts don't agree. I picked the wind and have to look at the sun a bit....

As for sun backing you, it never hurts..but most of the deer I hunt out side of the rut don't move till its down or after its upanyway.. best of luck..

Troy
Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 PM

I try to sit with the sun at my back as much as I can. When you have the sun at your back it hits trees making shadows, which help you blend in.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:42 PM

Same. I try to have it against my back

Quick Reply: Sun at your back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.