Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what bow

Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default what bow

Well all my life i have only rifle and muzzleloader hunted.I am wanting to start bowhunting,but dont know what kind of bow to get or anything like that.When you buy a bow does the draw length have to be measured for you specifically or just any draw length?And can you get a descent bow for around $300?I am asking this questions now because income tax time is fast approaching and i usally add to my arrsonal then.So if you guys could reccomend a good shooting bow for a beginer it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what bow

Look at the PSE line of beginner bows, great quality and affordable, and noone can beat their warranty program!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with pse, ive been bow hunting for a cupple years and the nova out shoots my uncles matthew for half the price
Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

i agree with pse, ive been bow hunting for a cupple years and the nova out shoots my uncles matthew for half the price
Come on now....lets not get silly.

Seriously, go to a dealer and have him measure your draw length and go from there. You may get more for your money in the used market, just shoot several and see what fits you and your preferences.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:19 AM

I agree I owned a PSE and it would never outshoot a Mathews. If I were you I would look at Diamond by Bowtech. They are an awesome shooting bow for a pretty reasonable price. I'm not sure if they have any for around $300, but they do have some for between $400-$550. I think they are worth the extra money IMO.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

i would go to a local proshop and have them let you shoot a few bows that fit to your size, then choose the one that you like the best and the proshop owner says is good as well.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

I was planning on going to a bass pro shop,there is one about 1 1/2 away..I didnt know that they will let you shoot them first!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, you can buy a really good bow for 300 dollars or even less. Some have the idea that you can't shoot good unless you get one of the elite bows, but I do just fine with my Nova. There has never been a time when I've said "If I just had a higher priced bow, I could have killed that deer." It has never happened. And I could write a check for any bow on the market. All the stuff you have to get to go with it will set you back though. By the time you get some good sights, rest, arrows, broadheads, release, etc, you can spend about as much as you did on the bow.

Also, If you're planning to hunt from treestands, you need to look into some type of harness to prevent falling.