Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on a theory

Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Default RE: Question on a theory

for me it depends on hunting pressure, deer in that area and number of days I have to hunt. If I only have 7 days and I don't see a deer until the fourth day Im takeing him/her, what ever comes in first. As long as your hunting for the right reasons (food and enjoyment)you shouldn't feel bad about any kill. Of course all of us would like to have a chance at a mature whitetail but a doe will taste just as good if not better than a tough old buck, just my 2cents.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always hunt with the sun at my back, I have stand's for all wind dirctions, though 90% of the time it's from the W,NW or SW around here.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:05 AM

15 yrs. ago I wouldn't have passed on any buck. I needed the meat, and would fill my tag with a doe if possible. Today I don't need the meat. I have the money to buy a 1/2 a beef, plus I also would rather fill the freezer with Elk over Venison. This allows me to be more of a "trophy hunter". I set out in the season to find a particular class of buck, and i pass on any i find that are smaller. The younger bucks I hope will make it a couple more seasons to become the caliber of buck I want to hunt.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 PM

In WV you can purchase three archery tags, but one must be an antlerless deer. I go with the first antlerless deer over approx 80lbs that comes within 25 yds and I can get a clean shot. I pass on any button or spike, as you never know what they will become. As far as bucks go. That is icing on the cake to harvest a nice buck. But I believe you need pass on the little ones to get a big one. but also believe that a nice or what is considered a big buck is decided on by the person who is harvesting it, not someone else. But that for me does not change as the season progresses.