Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on a theory

Old 12-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question on a theory

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Atlas has intelligent arguments to thwart the "let 'em grow" forces.

It's the "if they be brown...then they be down" theory. He's one of the US's most prolific vealison dealers...

Jeff
if they have spots -we take shots
Old 12-08-2006, 12:50 PM

For me, I decide on the spot whether I'm going to shoot the deer given the oppuntunity. One day maybe I'd let him pass and the next I take him. It all depends on how I fell at the time. My standards change hunt to hunt depending on what time of year it is, what the temperature is, how far out of the woods am I gonna have to drag this guy etc. It all comes down the moment of truth and I don't regret any of them.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Jesus.......If I'm not mistaken....he told me that's why they put the dots on the braodhead targets......to simulate field conditions.

Sounds plausible.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

"never pass up a deer you dont want to pass up" thats the philosophy that seems easiest to me. my standards change through the season, and i see nothing wrong with that. i know i live in a great hunting area, so for me, when i realise it isnt enjoyable anymore(by far the most important thing to me) i go stick the next 2.5 year old that wanders by and am done with it ( I do not shoot a doe with a either sex tag as I want the extra 30 lbs of meat). In contrast I have passed up 140 inch deer (I might add, a little bigger than anything I have actually harvested with a bow) early in the year because I didnt want to quit hunting yet. This year I shot a nice 9 point, only about 120", on my second time out because I wanted to, I was not going to get out more than 2 or 3 more times before gun season. The whole experiance encompases a hell of a lot more than inches of antler to me, even though I am awed by massive racks as much as the next guy.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you passed him early it was for a reason and the deer made it this far so let him walk and next year he will be bigger .
Old 12-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I go with the notion, Ill pass up bucks I simply settle with come near the close of season.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:25 PM

I try to get bucks in teh begging of the season, But if the season is almost over i'll take a doe for the meat
Old 12-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hoyt Girl........

If you only shoot bucks bigger than your previous buck you are going to run out of bucks to shoot before too long. They only grow so big.

IMO if the deer is good enough for me to shoot on the last day then he should have been good enough to shoot the first day. Otherwise I feel like I am only shooting that deer just to fill a tag. Of course I don't worry too much about antler size either. given the choice between two deer I will shoot the one with the bigger antlers but I won't pass another buck that is good enough to shoot on the last day.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

you can save alot of money on freezer paper if you can fit both backstraps in one pack

Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll play devils advocate in regards to shooting a buck I passed on early. Alot of bucks are good enough to shoot but I pass on them early, why? because I am hunting a particular buck, I will hunt that buck or a fewspecific bucksall season, and then on the last day even on a buck I have previously passed...if he's a buck I like and feel good about, I'll hammer him and be very happy about it.

Quick Reply: Question on a theory

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.