Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is it that cattle will drive deer out of there habitat?

Old 12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default Why is it that cattle will drive deer out of there habitat?

Where i hunt here in Northwest kansas there are alot of creeks with food plots(corn, milo, wheat, soybeans etc.)planted around the creeks, well as soon as the fall harvest is over the farmers and ranchers immediately start to put up the electric fence and soon the cattle come in. The deer are there before all of this happens, but as soon as the cattle get put into these fields, its like they pick up house and leave...Is it a battle between who gets to food? Or do deer just not like living with cows?? Now they will stay in the creeks if the cattle dont have access to the creek, but if the cattle can roam the creeks, well then it seems like they leave..Any thoughts??
Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why is it that cattle will drive deer out of there habitat?

Cattle and deer are very similar and as we all know a herd of 100 cattle will eat all available sources of food in a very short time. Thus making the deer have to move to other areas. But mostly deer and cattle actually get along very well. I have seen deer grazin with cattle many many times through out Wisconsin.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I see deer and cattle in the same pasture on a regular basis here in Tx.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

My cattle/deer experience has never been good. A couple places I hunt there is property fenced off for cattle and I rarely see deer there. Now step right across the fence and there is a ton of deer sign.

Im sure deer aren't scared off or intimidated by cattle but I think that around here (Arkansas) they prefer to keep a little distance between them.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:26 AM

Ive seen deer and cattle in the same cornfields also. I think that in browse areas there is little 'disturbance'. but I have seen where cattle have free access to wooded acres, and the deer seem to stay out.

Eat together, but not live together.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Spike

Thats the experience I have, if the cattle are just fenced into the fields and not the wooded areas, the deer will stay there and feed right along with the cows, but if the cows are able to browse around in the wooded areas along with the deer, the deer leave...
Old 12-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, I never see deer and cattle in the same fields. I never see deer in the cattle fields even when the cattle aren't in there!
Old 12-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had deer spookon several occasions when cattle came in. It always agrevates me when I'm sitting and the cows show up. You can't spook them off without getting down and making a racket, and if they spot you, they'll just stare at you for eternity.[:@] I don't think they are necessarily grazing buddies, at least not in my area.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Soon asI seen your post, I said to myself, He must live in Kansas! My wife refurs to them as the Killer Cows of Kansas. I cant give you an answer as to Why, But have seen them run Deer andCoyote, clean into the next county! Looks like it's just not Kansas by some of the other posts here though!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I have never noticed that. I acually have taken many deer while out working cattle. Deer and cattle feed on different things. Cows eat grass, deer eat forbs. I keep a rifle in my truck and every now and then ill pull it out while feeding cows to shot a deer.

Here in Texas the deer and cows are always together. I can only assume the deer in your area are not use to the cows. Here they are. Ive seen cows and deer in the same wheat field before.

Quick Reply: Why is it that cattle will drive deer out of there habitat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.