Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Rob's" buck has a "hairpiece"????

Old 12-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Rob's" buck has a "hairpiece"????

Anyone ever seen the midwest bucks that seem to have a "toupee" on? It looks like a patch of raised hair at the base of their antlers. I've always thought it looked funny....and thought it was a midwest thing....until I saw a buck, here (I named him 'Rob's' buck.....because he is a 4x1....he has a full rack on one side...and a spike on the other....like Rob/PA's bucks from recent years. I told Rob I was letting him walk so he could take him when he visited, next year) that had one.

Anybody ever seen this? Is this a rut thing? Is it a Winter thing? Am I a dumbaxx for not knowing about it??????....lol

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: "Rob's" buck has a "hairpiece"????

Could this also be an AGE thing?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Or maybe its a vanity thing?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I named him 'Rob's' buck.....because he is a 4x1....
ROFL...........hahaha. I think his luck rubbed off on me for my rifle season buck this year.

Anyhow, I have seen this quite a few times and usually only on bucks 2.5 or older. My rifle buck this year had it too.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I told some people this buck might be the oldest one I've seen, this year. I had him at 6yds for 10 minutes, last Saturday....in the same pose. He looks like an older deer to MANY I'm seeing....and I told Rob that he might be a 3-1/2 yr old deer or better. That was the second time I'd seen him, this year (maybe the 3rd)....all in the last month.

I might shoot this deer if I see him again......if I think he's really an old codger. To be honest, though....I REALLY need to kill does.....which is what I'll more than likely do. Maybe I'll take the camera!

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, take & post a few pics of him and then kill the does!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:20 AM

Jeff I had a 4 x 1 I was chasing for the past 2 years (He was a 3 x1 last year). Last year he escaped my arrow as he decided to Jump straight up in the air as I shot and my arrow literally shaved white hair off his belly right below his heart. Why couldn't he just drop like a normal buck on the shot? Oh well he is no longer walking since a rifle hunter shot him opening day of pa's gun season. I'll miss seeing him. I named him "50-Scent" because he just loved to circle around you at 50yds and scent check you. I do have to say I have a lot of cool memories of hunting that deer.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

PA....I know how you feel. I've been hunting 3 bucks for a while, now. I fear one or two of them (maybe all 3) are dead, now.....but I'll be able to find out when the season's over and I can get my game cam back up (near my feeder).

(and before anyone posts.....I don't hunt over or NEAR my feeder....and it's legal in NC. I used it to supplemental feed and to see what made it through the season.....and what might be out there for the coming season)

I ALWAYS get excited when I see a big-bodied deer. I'm always hopeful he'll be one I've never seen before. I think I saw one of those, last night. Oddly enough.....right across the street from my house. We'll see.

jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I saw that the other day on a deer a guy checked in, that's weird. I thought I was nuts, so I didn't say anything, but I guess I'm not the only one who's noticed it.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Yeah, take & post a few pics of him and then kill the does!
No don't, I might drewl....

Quick Reply: "Rob's" buck has a "hairpiece"????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.