Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

20 yard pin?????

Old 12-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default 20 yard pin?????

Who needs a stinkin TWENTY yd pin? I shot my new Allegiance for the first time, last night......and I NOW have one pin to THIRTY yards.

True story:

I shot it twice from 10 yds to see where to begin adjusting the sight. Low and left. Made a sight adjustment.....moved to fifteen yds......"whack".....little left. One more arrow......ROBINHOOD.

It gave me NO sense of happiness....just a true story.

I had NO intentions of purchasing a new bow, this year. When ROb/PA was down....he insisted I shoot his Bowtech a few times. I shot it exactly 3 times from twenty yds......adjusting for his peep sight.....and stacked 3 of his A/C/C's ....all touching one another. i thought about it for a while....and bought one (after shooting everything else). I feel real happy with my purchase. It'll be in the stand with me in the morning.

I'd never have guessed ONE pin to thirty yards, though. I guess Bowtech IS taking the "arch" out of archery.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 20 yard pin?????

I have the same thing on my tribute. I can shoot to 40 with the on pin set at 30
Old 12-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's such a big deal. I've been shooting one pin up to 30 yards for about 5 years now. And with bows that only shoot about 260 fps. Not that the arrow hits the same place. sighted in for 25 yards it's about 1 1/2" high at 20 yard and about 3 " low at 30. Not dead on as some people might think, but close enough for hunting within 30 yards.

Now my 3D setup, being a bit quicker has a spread of about 2 1/2" from 20 to 30 yards. That's right at 299 fps. 27" draw and 53#.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

BGFisher:

I was shooting an '05 Mathews Switchback at 64#'s.

To me....one pin to 30 yds is MOST DEFINITELY a "big deal". It means I can shoot a one pin sight to hunt. I also didn't say I had sighted in a 25 yd pin. I said I shoot one pin at THIRTY yards (hits the same place it does from 20). you could sight in a PSE Nova for 30 yds (top pin)and your 20 ought to be good!

What would impress you?

Jeff

Old 12-08-2006, 06:51 AM

Just this last week I bought a new Vectrix. Long story short, I have a single pin slider that I switched from old bow to new. The 20 yard pin didn't move vertically, just had to move it a little left....So I've sighted it in @ 20, and stepped back to 30. Moved my pin to my 30 yard marker and let fly. Hit quite a bit high. Too high, actually, so I figured I must have done something wrong. Shot again, same thing.....So I moved it back down to 20 and BLAMMO, right in there.

This goes against laws of physics...So I don't know, maybe I am subconciously holding a little high or something, butI shot 3 arrows from 20 yards and 3 from 30 yards w/out moving my pin. All 6 arrows were in a golf ball sized group......I dunno.....Physics say there should be some drop there....but I was sure happy.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

One more arrow......ROBINHOOD.
Where's Germ with "ya need to get something else that shoots good out of the box" comment now? [8D]

Of all the bows I owned this past year, my '06 Allegiance still finds itself hanging in my archery room... all the others have been sold to make way for my '07s.

Granted, I'm still hunting... and that's one reason I've still got one of them. But there's a reason it's this one that's left, and it could quite possibly remain in the stable even after the 07s arrive.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Wouldn't this have a direct correlation with the FPS capabilities of a bow? If you're not shooting (____ FPS) I would think you're "fudging" it.

I never moved my pins from when it was set up for my '05 SB. I simply adjusted the sight up and down for when I was standing at 15 yds. I went back to 20 yds. No need to move it. Went to 30 yds.....and was going to just shoot off of wher ethe 30 yd pin was already set. My son says....."what pin did you shoot"? I said....the 30. He said "shoot the 20....you're high". I shot the Lumenok the next time.......20 yd pin (from 30 yds)......perfect.

To many of you....this might not be a "big deal". From a guy who's always used 2 different pins for 20 and 30 yds.....it is.

Just my experience.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Having one pin out to 30 yards is a big deal even if one has been doing it for a while. That is actually the reason I bought my last bow. Anyway, for whitetails, like you said, you basically only need one pin which is a huge advantage. That is why I always love it when guys tell me that "he was at 20 and I thought he was at 15 and shot over him". Uhhhh, yeah that is what happened. I still have a 40 for hunting and a 50 and 60 for practice, but I love the fact that I do not need a range finder for 30 yards and in... TOP PIN BABY!!! When I can find a bow that will shoot flat to 35 I will buy a new one. Until then I am satisfied with what I have.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

True story:

I shot it twice from 10 yds to see where to begin adjusting the sight. Low and left. Made a sight adjustment.....moved to fifteen yds......"whack".....little left. One more arrow......ROBINHOOD.

It gave me NO sense of happiness....just a true story.

I had NO intentions of purchasing a new bow, this year. When ROb/PA was down....he insisted I shoot his Bowtech a few times. I shot it exactly 3 times from twenty yds......adjusting for his peep sight.....and stacked 3 of his A/C/C's ....all touching one another.

I'd never have guessed ONE pin to thirty yards, though. I guess Bowtech IS taking the "arch" out of archery.

Jeff
Your welcome!
Old 12-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lpv77

I have the same thing on my tribute. I can shoot to 40 with the on pin set at 30
yeah My first is a 30 then I've got a 40 n 50.

Quick Reply: 20 yard pin?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.