Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, what is it?

Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: OK, what is it?

I believe its from their antlers. I have seen a bunch of photos and "Most" of them are in the shoulder blade area or a little back. It looks as if you pushed thierantlers all the way back it would just about line up with the bald spot. I would say either from just scatching (ticks, ect..)thats they can't reach with legs. Could also befrom licking branches, eating from above. Or just becausethe plain o'le scratching cause it feels good..[8D]

I haven't seen any button bucks with it...

Old 12-11-2006, 05:15 PM

Crutch is correct.. These balds spots come from the G2's on the bucks antlers and its done when ever he tilts his head way back.Either licking branches or just smelling the air. Next time you kill a buck with these marks just tilt his head back and you will see that everything matches up perfectly. I have killed a bunch just like this and all were bucks with decent racks or atleast big enough to touch his back..

Bill
Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 PM

these two post are right on about it is caused by there g2s!!!!!!!!!!it is caused by there antlers when they put head back to eat or when they are working a licking branch!!!!!!!!!!!!when i first saw it i thought it mite be from fighting but then i started paying more attention and alot of big racked bucks have the same markings!!!!!!!!it seems always right off the top of there back!!!i killed a big 9pt this year and he had the same markings!!!!!!!!!!!i should of pulled his head back because i bet his g2 would have matched up with his bare spots!!!!!!!!!!dont ever see does and little buckswith the markings so i dout its from going under fences !!!!!most deer jump over them any way!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Not sure about the ones you guys have seen in the wild, but I'm pretty sure the bald spots on the deer on TV come from where they wear the harness. You know the one they use when they take the buck out of the pen and walk it into the larger fenced area. Then they pull out their "buck roar" which the buck as learned means free corn under the tree stand...
Dude you had me ROLLING with this one....free corn under the tree stand after the blowing of the famous new deer flute...the 'BUCK ROAR'....that image is just so funny in my head....LMAO!!!!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Saturday evening my Wife got to do her happy Dance! She took a Beautiful 17", 8pt, 20" main beams, 5 1/2" G1's, 6 1/2" G2's, 5" G3's with good mass. Not her biggest Buck, but a great Buck,were we live now in nothern MI. Her personal best Off public hunting land around here!! Anyway, I could not belive, after posting this thread, OK what is it? The first Buck I see has this spot on it!! Now its not worn down to the Skin as some in the Videos are, but the black tips of the hairs are gone, clearly visible, clearly worn (Not new Hair Growth).There are no Finces around for miles. And yes I could bend its rack around far enough to touch this spot, it did take some effort, but I did not try it till rigger had set. So after rulling out, finces, parasites, and wounds, because these would cause new hair growth, and not worn hair, I would also put my money on the antlers rubbing the back for one reason or another. Looks like after chaseing Whitetails for 39 years I would have noticed this before! Thanks for everyones input on this.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Spike

In one place we hunt there is literally millions of ticks on it. All the deer there have big bald patches all over there necks and backs. The taxidermist said that those bald spots are from ticks imbedded in the hide and deer chewing at them to get them out. I didn't really believe him until I looked really close in one of those bald spots and noticed an unbelievable amount of those little deer ticks all over in there.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Parasites was also my original guess!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: crutch

I believe its from their antlers. I have seen a bunch of photos and "Most" of them are in the shoulder blade area or a little back. It looks as if you pushed thierantlers all the way back it would just about line up with the bald spot. I would say either from just scatching (ticks, ect..)thats they can't reach with legs. Could also befrom licking branches, eating from above. Or just becausethe plain o'le scratching cause it feels good..[8D]

I haven't seen any button bucks with it...

Yep...I agree.