Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, what is it?

Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: OK, what is it?

You know, I'm willing to learn one more thing before my day is done because after I learn this one more thing I'll be exhausted. I figrue it was because of fences but the more I think about what Jeff said and the more I think about the deer I've seen with this, it's bucks, not does, makes sense that it's the antlers. The only buck I saw this year with that was that huge 8 point that I saw that made me sit in awe.....there was no way in hell that buck was going under a fence....
Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken deer with, cuts, rips, tears, gores, split ears, Infected puss bags big as your fist on their faces from gores, even killed one thats nose you could flip up like a car hood were he took a tine up the snout, but none with a bald spot in between its shoulders. Thought about the fince thing, but looks like only the high spots would be bald, and the dip would still have hair in it? Even thought about the antler scratching thing, but why would thay dig at the one spot, till there was no hair left? Terry Drury missed an opportunity at a buck with a bow in the early season that had one of these spots on it, in a later show, (colder weather, Muzzle loader I think)he kills that same buck and the spot had filled in (winter coat).Which led me to belive it was some sort of parasite, Flies, Ticks, Mites, or something along that line. All seam to be resonable answers, I really like the one about it being a sticker peel mark from Bucks are us, or what ever it was.Thanks for the input!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also thought about thejumping the fence, instead of going under it thing.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

They're scars. Usually from being shot too high. Sometimes from fighting.

Sometimes you'll even see the entrance and exit spots. [:-]

I've seen deer (dead) with those bald spots and they had a distinct broadhead scar in the hide. One deer had a bald spot and underthe hidewas a piece of arrow and broadhead. It must have been itchy because the wound had healed over, but the deer still rubbed off the fur over it.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:38 PM

I think they either get it from rubbing or fighting
Old 12-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

They get it from being mounted by gay bucks...
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

i also believe that its from going under a fence. i was watching a little flat behind my house the one day and turned the can over. not 5 min later, here comes a large 8 point (biggest ive ever seen while hunting). he walked right toward me (i sit right by a barbed wire fence). there was a little place where the wires were pushed out a little and ive seen many deer come through there. i thought he might jump the fence but he didnt. he just put his head down and fit his antlers through, followed by the rest of his body. he was only 10 yards in front of me but due to the brush i couldnt get a shot, and he busted me before hestepped into my shooting lane. ill get him next year when hes bigger

anyway....thats proof enough to me that a mature deer will not always jump a fence.

this makes sence as to why all the bucks that are shot on these hunting shows would have that mark on their backs, there all fenced in!

Old 12-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's buck pattern baldness............I believe it's from sparring with other bucks.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big bucks will go under a fence if there is plenty of clearance. If it's so low they would be rubbing their back bare, they will jump it.

I think what you are talking about is from fighting.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

It could be from a number of things but probably from fighting or a fence or something. When i was hunting a few weeks ago i saw a real nice buck walking down the ridge from me that had a huge bald spot just like your talking about. He didnt come close enough for a shot unfortunately...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.