Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, what is it?

Old 12-08-2006, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK, what is it?

It probably is scar tissue from fighting. I saw a buck this year with a heck of a wound on his back from fighting. When you take a mature deer, you should see the scars they usually have on the face, head, and neck.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

The buck I shot in 2002 had a bald spot running from the shoulder blades to about mid back. This is caused from the deer reaching back with their antlers to scratch their back. They cant reach mid back with their legs.
What he said!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:26 AM

I'm with ex ,It's more then likely from fencing .Some deer craw under fencing everyday and lose a little fur ,in time leaves a bald spot .I have seen them scab over from the constant ware of the barbed wire.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

It's from going under fencing at the same place each time. I have seen one small buck at one of my spots go under a fence at the same place about 10 times this season. The wire is now full of his hair. I would bet he does it everyday.

Mike
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd agree with what the guys are saying about fence crossing. They'll rub their backs as they go under fences and after a few times, it'll wear off the hair on their back.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

I have seen this on deer that go underneath fences frequently.
Bingo!
Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey guys.....I simply disagree.

Rob/PA will tell ya.....I've got 2 good places where I hunt that give me ample opportunity to watch deer crossing fences. To date.....I've never seen a BUCK go under (not a full sized buck). They always go over. The girls go under. Actually....I've never seen one go under on TV, either.

Just my observations.....and as always....I could be totally mistaken.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM

I agree with SBGIf it were from fences lots ofsmall deer would have them, Ive never seen a large deer go under a normal height fence, they go over it, especially if the have a large rack.From what Ive seen it is usually on mature bucks with large racks, Im not sure if its from their own antlers, or fighting with other bucks, but Ive noticed it on hunting videos, and Ive got pics of two bucks this fall with the spot your refering to. One of the two bucks If got pics of has the scar almost all the way down his side. Heres a pic of one.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

In Wi that missing hair is used to make the hair piece SB was wondering aboutin another post.Just kidding

I just witnessed this last saturday while hunting. A pretty good sized buck was rubbing on a low hanging branch like a cat would. I watched a good size chunk of hair fom high on his right side fall onto the snow. I have only seen this once and when the deer walked by my stand you could see a bald spot. After hunting I walked over and picked up the hair. I thought it would be nice to use as a cover scent for my boots. I don't know if that is what they are all caused form but the was the reason in for this one.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about the ones you guys have seen in the wild, but I'm pretty sure the bald spots on the deer on TV come from where they wear the harness. You know the one they use when they take the buck out of the pen and walk it into the larger fenced area. Then they pull out their "buck roar" which the buck as learned means free corn under the tree stand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.