Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot in the back leg and the deer still dies?

Old 12-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shot in the back leg and the deer still dies?

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I hit one in the hind quarter once on a deflection and the deer went 15 yards and dropped. At first I was bummed, I thought "oh know" but with in seconds the deer was down! I was shocked, the blood trail was 3 feet wide!
Yeah def. a femeral artery hit.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:25 PM

yeah you would probley find him
Old 12-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Oh boy, I can see all the "I hit one in the ass on pourpose guys help me find it" threads from this awfull advice.
I would never take this type of a shot on purpose! I hope it didn't come off like that. My shot was a combination of a deflection and the deer darting off! I was not happy about the shot, just happy that I recovered the deer, it dropped with in sight. I was extremely LUCKY!!!! I too hope people don't start taking this shot on purpose, not good! JMO!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

If the only shot you have is the ham...YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE THE SHOT!

Washington Hunter, you are correct; lung shot, heart shot, or no shot.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

it will kill of course but you would be shooting for something as big around as your thumb. yea dont try it. my brother shor a huge 10 point there accidentaly(twig) and it ran lickety split for 250 yards and fell over stone dead. luck of course.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Chuck writes in his most recent column in yesterday's issue of Bowhunting World that he recalled Fred Bear promoting the rear ham shot to him because of the abundance of blood vessels back there, but Chuck himself said he wouldn't advise it. Maybe he's rethought his position since the release of his book.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Chuck writes in his most recent column in yesterday's issue of Bowhunting World that he recalled Fred Bear promoting the rear ham shot to him because of the abundance of blood vessels back there, but Chuck himself said he wouldn't advise it. Maybe he's rethought his position since the release of his book.
I should hope so, I can't imagine someone (Chuck especially) promoting such a low percentage shot in this day and age.

Back in FredBear's day, perhaps, but definitely not in the 2000's.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was leaving a sport shop in Grayling, Mi. many years ago, when Chuck Boname (probably spelled wrong) Fred Bears, Secretarys Son, Pulled up with a nice, wide 8pt in the back of a truck and says Hay John, if you can find were I shot this deer you can have it! After looking it over real good Chuck began to laugh grabed its rear leg and opend up a lenght wise cut running down the bottom part of the leg with the Bear Broadhead buired in its hoof!! Said He had shot it right under his stand, and did not know were he had hit it, but hadfair, to noBlood,and after a long tracking job found it. Don't shoot deer in the hoofs!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I accidently shot a nice buck in the hams about a week after my borother-in-law did the same thing - also by accident. In both cases, we had excellent blood trails leading to dead deer about 50 yards away. I don't recommend or endorse the shot and would never intentionallytake it, but it often results in a easy recovery.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

I also have stuck one in the ham (quartering to, hit way to far back...before I knew better), broadhead actually came out between his legs, fletchings sticking out just in front of the ham 6 inches or so. The buck just stood there. I was soooo bummed, I nocked another arrow and didn't get another shot opportunity and he slowly walked 20 yards and fell over. He left a blood trail 2' wide.

Quick Reply: shot in the back leg and the deer still dies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.