Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent control study/tip.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent control study/tip.

As mentioned in a post yesterday, I’ve been conducting a study on scent control. My study simply consists of trying to hide from my dog, while using different tactics/products designed to hide or eliminate our scent.

At first I thought that this would be an easy task, and I guess it is, or will be, but some training is necessary on the part of the dog. During my attempts so far, my dog has also been very interested in other smells not associated with my study, such as other dogs urine on his territory, deer that travel through our yard and so on. Training him to participate will insure his cooperation and provide us with some significant information on scent control. But knowing our expectations of him and his duties is the corner stone for success. My dog has a very strong work ethic, and loves to please. But with out training, I’m simply hiding and more often than not, his is using this time to simply be a dog with out a care in the world.

Since I cannot use every product on the market I’m posting this thread to summon your participation. I think a combined group effort would be very beneficial to our success. Please let me know if you’re willing to contribute to the study. I’m sure it will be very rewarding in the long run. If you have a dog that would enjoy this type of activity, and you enjoy working with him/her, you’re a perfect candidate. Also, please let me know if you have any questions on how to train your dog to assist. I’ve found that any healthy dog can track and is trained fairly easily if the training is kept fun, executed in short intervals and the dog is rewarded with your positive reassurance and love for him/her in the end.
My dog (Buddy) is an Australian Cattle Dog, AKA, Queensland heeler, Blue heeler or Red heeler. He loves to work and play. He is a working breed, but not a hound, and he’s not bred for tracking, but he loves to do it, and has become very good at it. He tracks downed deer very well, in fact, unless time does not permit, I go and get Buddy to track any deer that I’ve taken, even if I already know where it is. It is fun and enjoyable for both of us. Buddy also has a job working at the farm behind my house, where he helps out with a wide range of tasks. Most of which revolve around herding or singling out livestock. You should see his mannerisms when he hears the farmer call his name and we comply with “go work boy”. The farmer has said that he is such a hard worker that his aggression has been permanently engrained in his livestock. If livestock get out of their pens, the farmer simply calls “Buddy” even when buddy is in our house and cannot hear the call, the livestock run back in their pns, and would very much like for the farmer to close the doors. They know what’s coming, and don’t like it.
I love working with my dog, and teaching my children to work with him also. If we are creative enough, there are many ways our dogs can benefit us. I look forward to working with some of you and sharing any information we gather with all.

Tip – Police use K9’s for tracking criminals who may be hiding from them. We all know this. But did you know that the K9 is trained to find you by the scent that you produce while you’re scared? The old saying “a dog can smell fear” is true. This is one reason they say a dog is a good judge of character. I’ve learned to trust my dog’s instinct when it comes to people. A person that may be ready to commit a crime is likely to be scared, no matter how well they may be pretending, the dog recognizes this and alerts others by showing aggression towards this individual.
How this relates to us you ask – I for one get very excited when I see the buck or doe for that matter that I’ve been waiting on. On occasion my heart has pounded so hard that I can’t believe the deer can’t hear it! I’m pretty sure that I am now putting out this “fear scent”, and that the deer is just as capable as a dog in smelling it, as well as recognizing it as trouble. In this situation I’ve found that a little pep talk is in order to calm myself down. “Everything is going to be okay, we have prepared for this moment, and all we have to do is execute the plan. I can do this. This is fun!” The word “fun” I think is key, at least for me it is. It changes the situation from a situation of success vs. failure, to a simply fun and enjoyable experience no matter what the outcome. After all, having fun and enjoying my self has always been one of my goals for hunting.

Good luck and happy hunting!
KP
Old 12-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Scent control study/tip.

If my dog wants to find something it will. I don't think it hears or see's well but it's nose is golden. Unless you can transport yourself from onr spot to another he can find you. His breed can smell something 8' under water. Besides that when a person walks they leave a trail. Pick up something and smell it, then rub it in your hands and smell it. Easy to follow the stronger scent.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read the first paragraph. Sounds interesting.

Could you please publish the cliff notes version of this novel? It must be the A.D.D or something because I can't read these long posts...
Old 12-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I read the first paragraph. Sounds interesting.

Could you please publish the cliff notes version of this novel? It must be the A.D.D or something because I can't read these long posts...
LOL HeHeHe
Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Is there a scent control study taking place, or a dog training session. I am really confused.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

qzq38b,
You have A.D.D. and can't read long posts. That is fine. It is fine to not read them, it is fine to read them and not be interested in them. But why take the time to respond to something you didn't or couldn't take the time to read?

JB,
I'm sorry that you are confused. Lay off the pot for a while and get back to me when you're able to read again.