Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell me about your MAIN hunting area...

Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Tell me about your MAIN hunting area...

Lets hear it....

*What is you hunting area like?
*What state?
*How big is it?
*What's the deer population?
*What's the topography like?
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture?
*What types of trees does the timber consist of?

Just let us know what your main area consists of....

Add photos if you have any...

Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 PM

Default RE: Tell me about your MAIN hunting area...

*What is you hunting area like? Hardwoods mixed with a few open fields.
*What state? Missouri
*How big is it? 14,000 ac.
*What's the deer population? Pretty good on the rise right now.
*What's the topography like? Lots of hills ridges and draws
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? Winter wheat and clover plots and lots of acorns.
*What types of tress does the timber consist of? Hardwoods

Old 12-06-2006, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

*What state?
*How big is it?
*What types of tress does the timber consist of?
1) Its pretty good.
2) Tennessee.
3) About 200 acres.
4) Depends on the mast.
5) Ridges and hollers, and a large creek bottom, and more ridges and hollers.
7)Lots of oak trees..4 food plots,1acre, 2 acre, and 4 acre in wheat and ladino clover, and a 1/2 acre one in turnip greens.. (they love them, and handle frost very well.. most people wouldnt think huh?)
8) Mostly red oak, white oak, poplar, hickory, persimmon , and just about every other hardwood you can think of.. and theres a whole side of a hill thats nothing but a big cedar thicket.

Thats about it.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

*What is you hunting area like? It's a private, 24 acre tract that abutts a 200+ acre county park that does not allow hunting. It's a man-made break line that has served me well

*What state? NC

*How big is it? 24 acres (my best spot)

*What's the deer population? Mostly hunting in this sport....I've seen almost 300 deer from stand, so far

*What's the topography like? it's typical foothills topography. Somewhat hill terrain.

*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? NO agriculture (at least not THIS year...lol). This is an old homeplace.....pasture pands...persimmon trees.....and I supplemental feed (though I don't hunt over it). Next year....I'll have 2 food plots....about 400 yds apart....each being about 1-1.5 acres.

*What types of trees does the timber consist of? All. I have a good stand of mast producers.

Jeff

Old 12-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Here is some of what I hunt, the areas in the red boxes are where I hunt. This "hunting map" is theunfinished version & is about 1/2 the actual size (I'll find & upload the finished version later), I have the finished version on disk somewhere.. I hunt mostly hedge rows & small patches of grass/brush in the open crop fields.
As you can see in the lower right are the icons I made & can place on the map, I also have a "Legend" so I know what crops are in at any given field(s). I can also change the crop's from year to year as needed.

I keep an active log using this map.. I just make a new Copy & I have a new Day, then I just enter the data & click Save & burn it to disk w/pics (if any) I take of the deer/wildlife I see.
Later, Phil B.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a 100% crop of my hunting map/log.
Later, Phil B.
EDIT: BTW, this map is 4X6 miles.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

*What state?
*How big is it?
*What types of trees does the timber consist of?

Just let us know what your main area consists of....

Add photos if you have any...
My main property is in Bradford County, PA. It is primarily a huge patch of woods that is landlocked in a major agricultural area. We own 130 acres of it between misc family members, another neighbor has about 250 that practices good self imposed antler restrictions, and another neighbor has given us exclusive rights to his 150 acres. About 100 acres on the very western side of the patch is owned by another landowner that gives us permission, but also gives it to everyone else and it is hunted hard. Doesn't seem to affect our spotthough, they really aren't that great of hunters and seem to run everything off that patch onto our side and don't kill much.

Here is an aerial pic of about 10,000 acres surrounding the area so you can see how agricultural it is there. If you can't tell, it's the patch in the middle of all the fields with the A pointer in it. Our property is on the northside of this and includes a long creek bottom, and the heaviest cover in the entire patch that serves as the primary bedding cover for almost the entire patch of woods. We are fortunate to have this place.

The deer population is VERY dense here. I would imagine we fall into the 20-25 deer per square mile area. I know of 7-8 family groups that frequent the property on almost any given day, as well as about a half dozen bucks or so. It has been in the family for probably 60 years, however I never hunted it until last year because my father owned another farm about 20 miles away that produced some great deer. This year is the second deer I have been on it. We have a lot of work to do on it in terms of thinning the does out. The neighbors won't shoot them and we have way too many. We have successfully gotten the buck/doe ratio on my buddys property up in NY to about 1:1 and I think we can get it there too for my place.......hopefully Rob can help me next year because as of right now I don't have enough guys to draw tags that can do what we need to there.

Topography of most of the property isa sidehill with a creek bottom below it. The creek bottom has a hemlock patch that is VERY thick in it and serves as primary bedding cover. They need to cross the creek from the primary feeding fields to get into the hemlocks and I hunt these crossings hard. There are about 4 main crossings that are used randomly. I also have a 1.5 acre foodplot that is almost entirely turnips and brassicas that is still looking great with enough forage to last well into February and probably March as well. Because it is only hunted a weekend or so every 2 weeks and rested a lot the deer are still acting normal and are coming into the plot during all daylight hours.

Most of the timber is red oak, beech, poplar, there are 2x hemlock patches that are thick, and tons of apples. The entire patch including all the neighbors was a 1500 acre apple orchard about 50 years ago so there are tons of apples.

Here is the plot as of 2nd week of bow season in October.

Here is a zoomed in aerial pic showing the property line. Yellow and red spots indicate stands.

Edit ** If I catch any of you in this spotI will probably shoot first and ask questions later. [8D]
Old 12-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

What is you hunting area like? It is VERY thick woods mixed with fields. Few crops in the fields but some clover. Portions havebeen selectively logged over the last 15 years, making it very thick. 90% of the wooded areas are bedding areas. You have to be VERY careful where you go or you'll bump deer continuously.
*What state? Western PA
*How big is it? Around a 100 acres core, but I have access to probably another 300touching it, depending on what direction. Much of that other 300 is hunted pretty good.
*What's the deer population? Very high, too high in my opinion
*What's the topography like? Hilly, very old reclaimed strip jobs in much of it.
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? Hardwoods and reclaimed strip mine fields. There is lots of corn around the area, but little to none on my places
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? Oaks, maple, hickory, poplar, other hardwoods

Old 12-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Site Buck Guru

Buckeyebuckhntr, I've given descriptions and shown maps of one of my hunting spots over the past few weeks. Some people like them, while others get into a big uproar over it and spend days telling me to hunt somewhere else. So I'll sit this one out and take a short break from it.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

*What is you hunting area like? Good area with mid range deer population density, Good opportunity for a buck in the 130 range but there are a few bigger bucks in the area.
*What state? Northeastern Oklahoma
*How big is it? 500 acres
*What's the deer population? That's a tricky one, I'd say approx. 25+ per square mile.
*What's the topography like? It's a tract that is mainly made up of one large hill with draws running down into the bottomland below.
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture?The main vegetation on the property is rough brows.Thereare no crops on the property, but I do use feeding stations to try to attract deer from the surrounding property which seems to have worked. There are an unbelievable amount of persimon trees on the property as well as Sumak (sp?) which the deer brows on as well as alot of Locust trees which they brows on the beansof.
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? It consists of thick brush and clearings on top of the hill, the hillside has larger more mature trees, also there are very few oak trees on the property. The bottomland is hay meadow (pasture land used for graising cattle).

Overall the property is very thick and brushy with no crops on it. It holds a higher population of deer because the surrounding areas are open with very little cover. The area has good genetics. I have set and seen as many as 15 deer in one setting. I believe the buck to doe ration is around 1 to 2 or maybe 1 to 3.

Quick Reply: Tell me about your MAIN hunting area...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.