Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell me about your MAIN hunting area...

Old 12-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Tell me about your MAIN hunting area...

If I showed you, I'd have to kill you.

Is about 125 sq miles of heaven with a good buck to doe ratio.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 AM

*What is you hunting area like? Wooded with some open fields And two food plots. The fence rows were just cleared out this past summer and winter wheat was planted along these fences. This has turned out to be great.
*What state? Central Oklahoma
*How big is it? 240 acres
*What's the deer population? I would say 60 per sq mile
*What's the topography like? Very flat, 5 ponds and 80 acres is a hay meadow
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? wheat, lots of persimmon trees and the two food plots
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? Persimmons and a variety of other trees

Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM

*What is you hunting area like? diverse amount of game.
*What state?sask
*How big is it? 1400 cultivated acres
*What's the deer population? pretty good
*What's the topography like? not too rolly, large forested areas spanning miles as well as rivers, creek bottoms and alot of cropland.
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? bush feed as well as canola, alfalfa, peas, barley, wheat, oats
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? decidouis forest for the most part including poplar, willows, dense hazel brush but also conifered areas. White and black spruce, a few jackpine as well as tamarack.

here are some pics on my site i am workin on for college

http://www.brandonu.ca/eduweb/fall06/bloski/myfarm.html

Old 12-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lets hear it....

*What is you hunting area like? Forest Land, Mountains from 2000 feet elevation up to 8000-9000 whitetails hang out from about 5.5 down...
*What state? Idaho, Northern half.
*How big is it? Huge country, public land and timber company landmostly some small pieces of private.
*What's the deer population? Lower deer densities but some good pockets of whitetails,weather conditions dictate denisties via the seasons.
*What's the topography like? Rugged, thick, heavily vegetated, big timber, logging country, plantations, clear cuts etc.
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? Browse species in every direction formiles upon miles..Loggin really has made our habitat exceptional from a feed standpoint. Some ag in the valleys, mostly alfalfa.
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? Mostly conifers, Western Larch, Douglas fir, Grand fir, lodge pole pine, Ponderosa pine, spruce, etc..

Just let us know what your main area consists of.... Deer here are spread out, and can feedwhere ever they want. Not to many concentrated food sources, miles of big country to hide out in.

Add photos if you have any...

here's Mike also known as Bowhnt from my xx team hunting elk out here this past fall ...good picture of the country in the background
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 PM

*What is you hunting area like? Rugged, steep, elevations from 1600 to 9000. Deepest gorge in North America. Named Hells Canyon for a reason.
*What state? Idaho/Oregon border
*How big is it? Huge!
*What's the deer population? Scarce whitetail pop. Good muledeer, elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, couger & bear country.
*What's the topography like? Open, steep, rugged, country.. Large NationalRecreation Area with limited access, horseor foot traffic only in many areas. Did I mention steep and rugged?
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? Sage brush, mountain grass, cheet grass, berry bushes,wild orchards, some farmed ground growing mostly alphalpha and hay. Big cattle ranchlands.
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? Trees?? what are those?? Higher altitude pines and firs, pockets of birch and aspen, usually found in river drainages. Timberline starts at about 3000ft and ends at 6000ft.

Just let us know what your main area consists of....

Add photos if you have any...

One photo above my home looking at the headwaters of Hells Canyon.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Ohio...I get to hunt a lot of places. I grew up around here & know a lot of farmers. My main place is about 200 acres, hardwoods, valley, creek, 10 tree stands. My problem is finding time to go.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

*What is you hunting area like? River Bottom/Ag
*What state? MI
*How big is it? 285 Acers
*What's the deer population? 30-40
*What's the topography like? Inside the Red is ours
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? Soybean/Corn/3 food plots. Two really good HardWood stands, with lots of oaks, 1 woods really really thick
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? Oak, Elm, Box, Hickory

Old 12-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

*What is you hunting area like? River Bottom/Ag
*What state? MI
*How big is it? 285 Acers
*What's the deer population? 30-40
*What's the topography like? Inside the Red is ours
*What are the maintypes ofvegetation / agriculture? Soybean/Corn/3 food plots. Two really good HardWood stands, with lots of oaks, 1 woods really really thick
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? Oak, Elm, Box, Hickory

I remember comenting on this property pic from last year as to where I would put a stand. Out of curiosity, where was the stand for your monster you got this year?
Old 12-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Site Buck Guru

Germ, What is going on by the yellow X?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

*What is you hunting area like? Agricultural fields with broken patches of timber, small wooded areas. In general, bout 1/2-1 mile from a river.
*What state? Illinois
*How big is it? Private land acreage in increments ranging from 20 acres to 150 acres. Nearby state conservation area is 1,100 acres, tho I rarely hunt it.
*What's the deer population? Average I'd guess. Not the large population as in some other areas of Illinois.
*What's the topography like? Gently rolling. Some small creekbed crossings make for good ambush spots.
*What are the main types of vegetation / agriculture? Corn, soybeans, wheat. Not much clover, alfalfa any longer as cattle are not raised nearly as much around here.
*What types of trees does the timber consist of? Oaks, poplar, persimmons,walnut, etc.

Quick Reply: Tell me about your MAIN hunting area...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.