Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question.... Would you rather....

Old 12-06-2006, 09:22 PM

Default RE: Question.... Would you rather....

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

High pop...I'd rather go for more excitement of seeing more deer. I don't care how big they are. Maybe I'll change my mind down the road.
Us folks from Mo must be unique....he took the words right off my fingers......so to speak...
Old 12-06-2006, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

If you just started Hunting i would go with the High population just 2 be able to learn deer behavior faster.If you have harvested several deer i would go with the Trophy spot there is nothing like finding were that Big boy is hanging out and geting him.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

I'd go for low population but would expect to still get meat and see deer. Most of the places I normally hunt are not high population areas but I still bag a few. Of course, its awful nice to go to my buddies lease out west. Lots and lots of deer.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

high deer population because i enjoy shooting at does too, it puts meat in the freezer...and a buck every once in a while is just an extra treat.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Well let's think about this for a minute.

There are 640 acres in one square mile.

That would mean there are five deer on that first300 acres.

That also means there are 15+ deer on the opposite 300 acres.

I would take the higherpopulation acreage.
This is exactly how I thought about this scenario. As somebody who regularly hunts in an area with 5 -10 deer per sq mile, I can tell you it's VERY SLOW most of the time.

If you are willing to go out and hunt for a week at a time and not see ANY deer, then go for the low density area.

However, you could go INSANE waiting and not seeing anything. Trust me - it's more fun to see deer, even if they are smaller.

Not only that, the best lure for a mature buck is does! So I'd take the area with the higher density because in reality that's probably where the big bucks are going to be during the rut looking for does.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with low.
Yeah it would suck to not see as many deer as I see now, but I have NO chance of killing a 140 at all where I hunt now. I'd like to at least have the chance....

Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once the rut starts the big bucks are going to be where the does are. I'd pick the higher density area for that reason.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the low population area with 10 deer per square mile, how many trophy bucks would there be out of that 10?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 PM

Id take the highly populated area, manage the herdand landright and bust my ass in the offseason and hopefully wind up with a higher population and trophy potential.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:00 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

buckeye

I can't imagine onlyhunting 300 acres.

I would take the low population area.

Tim

Quick Reply: Question.... Would you rather....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.