Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mounts; simple question.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mounts; simple question.

You should put a picture of ot on here
Old 12-06-2006, 07:27 PM

Well, if you insist, how about I post several?

Old 12-06-2006, 07:29 PM

What i would do is take the rack in and get it done with another cape and then keep a few capes next year and give to the taxidermist as payback. The deer i got mounted iwasn't planned so i cut the head off the cape and had it sitting in the shed, but i had a taxidermist from ontario hunting on my place who said he would do it for free as long as I would give him a few capes the next year he came up. So that was the deal.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:36 PM

Problem with that is we're only allowed one deer per year in Washington.

Unless I travel to another state that allows me multiple deer and I shoot one and bring the cape back, chances are I won't have any extras to give to the taxidermist.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Take the one off of next years buck then, or cape out your dads, your cousins, your neighbors etc just get a cape to replace it. Its a good idea to start caping out several animals so that when it comes to one you wanna take to the taxi you don't make it look like a chop job. [8D]
Old 12-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year i shot a buck early season and didnt recover it that night. When i came back it was eaten by coyotes and the cape wasnt any good. Last month i killed another buck that was smaller than my first so i used the cape from it for the first buck.

See if you can get a cape from somebody you know that shot a deer that they arent going to mount or possibly a mature doe...
Old 12-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

contact your local meat processor, they usually have several during deer season and most of the time will give you one. it's worth checking into
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your eyes open for a fresh roadkill. I messed up the cape on my first deer, and my taxidermist picked up a roadkill he saw hit. It was the same size as the deer I shot, so he used it for my mount. Didn't charge me any extra, but I bought him and his girlfriend dinner as a 'thanks'.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

If you do decide to mount it, I want you to be aware of what time you get it done. First of all, I'm not sure how many taxidermists "stockpile" capes year round. Second of all, if you decided to get it mounted Sept. or Oct. 2007 then the cape fee might be a little higher than if you wait until Dec. The reason is, that early in the season there will be short haired capes and good ones tend to fetch a higher price than long haired capes (taken from deer in the winter months). Plus, if you wait until Nov./Dec. there it will probably be easier to come across a cape b/c of all the gun hunting going on at this time.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:15 PM

Washinton hunter I am wondering what part of washington you are from? From your pictures it looks like Spokane.

C

Quick Reply: Mounts; simple question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.