Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Non Cutable Treestand Locks

Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Non Cutable Treestand Locks

Always remember.....if they want your stand bad enough.....they can cut your TREE down. I've heard of that happening, too. I know I had one stolen, last year. They used a hacksaw to cut the cable (I know because I found out who did it and ASKED him).

Jeff
Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 PM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Always remember.....if they want your stand bad enough.....they can cut your TREE down. I've heard of that happening, too. I know I had one stolen, last year. They used a hacksaw to cut the cable (I know because I found out who did it and ASKED him).

Jeff
I dont know why anyone would want my stand, it is reall cheap and has no distinct features whatsoevr, oh well, It could happen!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're probably refering to steel braided cables. And you were told right, bolt cutters have a hard time with them, however, a hacksaw makes short work of the job...
Sorry,
If I were you, I'd leave a note that said something like this;

Dear Sir,
If you are here to steal this stand I just thought that it would only be fair to warn you, that I will make it my first priority to find and kill you. I will also harm your family, and if I happen to be anywhere near here right now, I'm probably already pointing my secondary (stolen) gun (which is not registered to me) at you while pleasuring myself.
Thanks, and have a great day!

P.S. I'm looking forward to F'ing up your life!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate
Dear Sir,
If you are here to steal this stand I just thought that it would only be fair to warn you, that I will make it my first priority to find and kill you. I will also harm your family, and if I happen to be anywhere near here right now, I'm probably already pointing my secondary (stolen) gun (which is not registered to me) at you while pleasuring myself.
Thanks, and have a great day!

P.S. I'm looking forward to F'ing up your life!
LOL Well put, I just might do that, Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Banned

I go to Lowes and get cable as big as diameter as my finger in 20' lengths. Make a loop on each end by taking a nut that is large enough to feed the cable back through the nut and beat this nut with a sledge to permantly keep the loop. I then snake these through the ladder sections of my ladder stands, around the tree,and padlock at the top with agood quality lock. The next step is the most important step; write on all of your sections and the stand platform itself with a black permanet marker:
SMILE FOR MY TRAIL CAMERA and your name. I have never had any problems with thievery. I have 4 ladder stands that I have done this with.

If you really don't want to get ripped off, do what I do; take a Lone Wolf Alpha hangon,New Millenium, or your favorite hangonand a set of Lone Wolf climbing sticks and take your setup in and out every time you hunt. People can't steal your stand as it is at home whenever you are not hunting and you will see way more deer hunting like this. I have the ladder stands for my boy when he bowhunts.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:23 PM

I would get a trail cam and set it up looking at your stand [:@]
Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great idea! And when they see it flash, they can steal that too, even if they didn't need or want one, since they know they're on tape...

I can't wait to find one of those in the woods, I've got some cool ideas. I going to put some scary stuff in there, fake murder scene or something...
Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

That is a great idea! And when they see it flash, they can steal that too, even if they didn't need or want one, since they know they're on tape...

I can't wait to find one of those in the woods, I've got some cool ideas. I going to put some scary stuff in there, fake murder scene or something...
lmao exactly...I would be delighted to lose more money!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scum thief

Maybe you can turn off the flash? I don't know, I don't own one?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM

I bought a Master Lock "Python" at Lowe's over the summer and have used it all season and really like it. - I move hang on's around throughout the season. The key stays in when you unlock it, so it won't fall to the ground. As someone says earlier, if they want it, they'll get it. I figure a guy has to go to a locked stand at least twice to steal it. The first time he merely stumbles upon it. A second time with equipment to climb and cut the lock. That takes guts/stupidity. Here's the link on the Master Lock site, hope this all works out for you.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/residential/outdoor/&displaynav=&sub_cat_id=D8418C&templat e=style