Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead question

Old 12-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Broadhead question

ORIGINAL: spartanhunter19

I'm having trouble finding broadheads that shoot accurately with my setup. My arrows are swriling and tend to hit far left consistently, is there anything I can do to tweak them or do I just keep experimenting with different types? Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks!!
It's not your broadheads, it's your bow/arrow tuning. A great start would be a quality shop if you can't do it yourself or visit the Technical forum for some invaluable information regarding tuning, etc.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOmightymite

It sounds like your bow isn't tuned properly. Take it to your local shop and have them take a look at it. They will probably paper tune it for you there, and make the needed adjustments. If your bow is tuned properly i dont know then. It could be that the grain broadhead isnt right for your setup. I'm sure some more knowledgeable guys on here can give you more information.
right on the money. The only reason your bow won't shoot your broadheads right is if it is out of tune. And just slightly out of tune can make a huge huge difference. I'd do like mightymight said and take it to the shop. If it's tuned, keep experimenting. Sometimes you have to move a spine up to make 'em shoot, sometimes it's just the broadheads being a little funny with an ever so slightly out of tune bow. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 PM

If you want a new brodhead,the crimson talin or G5 montech.the only bad thing about the crimson is that the blades bend ez,but they cut a good hole.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

If they're all shooting consistantly to the same place and your field tips aren't there, it's a tune deal. If they're all over the place it can be several things. There are some broadheads that shoot better than others but that doesn't sound like your problem. If your spine is marginal you can go nuts trying to tweek it. Try some lighter heads and see what happens. BUT, I think someone hit the nail on the head. If you're shooting heavy heads with small straight fletchings your answer could be as simple as a little helical in you fletchings. More than likely it's tune, but do the helical too... it'll help with form flaws and marginal spine problems. Most all spine charts I've seen are fine for field points but suck if you're using heavier fixed heads.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all of the input! I'm going to get to the shop over Christmas break and see if tuning is the problem or not. If that's not the case then maybe some helical vanes may do the trick. Thanks again!