Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Was I winded by the doe, a buck, or both?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Was I winded by the doe, a buck, or both?

Went out this morning for a few hours. After I’d been in the stand for about two hours I was looking up into a swamp to the north with my binoculars when I heard “the crunching”, and it was close. This stand is approx 25 yards inside the woods on the outside corner of a 90 degree turn on a power line. Six doe end up walking past my stand at about ten yards. They came in from the left, and from this position, I have a huge white oak tree to my left that I’m actually leaning on to remain steady. I never moved. I kept the binoculars right in front of my face and just watched. They were all looking back behind them. I was sure that if I move at all, the huge monster I was imagining on the other side of the tree would bust me. The lead doe lead the way. Single file they all made their way through the swamp, but kept looking back. The whole time I’m sitting there waiting for the big boy to come in from the same place, which would allow me to arm myself with the tree between us. I ended up watching these doe move through the swamp, up a small mountain and over the ridge. I stayed in my place for about five min after I lost sight of them. I then turned around very slowly, only to see nothing! I waited there for about two more hours watching the fresh trail. Still nothing. This isn’t the first time that I’ve had this happen, and there are a few likely scenarios, but I thought I would ask your opinion.

My theory is that one of the following happened;

They were being trailed by a buck, that for some reason, (most likely me and my smell) decided to call off the chase and leave the area before I saw him.
There was another threat in the woods. I find this one unlikely due to the landscape. We (the deer and myself) were on a peninsula surrounded by a small river that is impassable by man, unless wearing chest waders, and I heard no dogs prior to their entry.
There was no buck, they winded me and kept looking back to see where the smell was coming from. Although this is just as likely as any other excuse, they weren’t acting like they’d winded me. They didn’t seem to be looking all around trying to find an unidentified threat, but more like watching their trail, and it was all of them, looking back every time they stopped.[/ol]

I don’t use scent killer anymore. My worst season ever was the year that I was a believer in those products. They may work, but it is my opinion that they can smell that stuff just like any other odor, since I can smell it. And even though it doesn’t have a “human smell”, my thoughts are, if enough humans wear it, then it does smell like humans! I simply wash my clothes in water and hang outside to dry. I also make sure that I never sweat in them. I hang my clothes about a 100 yards behind my house in some woods because I don’t want them to smell like sparkly chlorinated pool water. Deer travel past my clothes just about every evening around 9:PM and sometimes in the opposite direction in the morning, but these aren’t the deer I’m hunting. I was carrying “old stinky” my 30.06, which I know is a dead give away for deer that close, but like I said, I don’t think that I was the primary concern based on their behavior.

The main reason I’m asking is because I was thinking of focusing my efforts on another piece of property. No real reason other than it is also a good place with lots of sign, but it is new to me, and I like hunting new property. But, I don’t want to leave something “worthy” behind…

Sorry about the long post,
KP
Old 12-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Was I winded by the doe, a buck, or both?

There was no buck, they winded me and kept looking back to see where the smell was coming from. Although this is just as likely as any other excuse, they weren’t acting like they’d winded me. They didn’t seem to be looking all around trying to find an unidentified threat, but more like watching their trail, and it was all of them, looking back every time they stopped.
You didn't mention wind direction , but this scenario sounds the most likely , I've had deer wind me and just keep on walking without visible sign of spooking many times . Smarter deer walk with the wind at their back to leave their ears free to monitor ahead , if they weren't looking back on their way in then there was probably no buck on their trail .
Old 12-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a pretty unique situation. My (excuse me) .....the deer in my area (I have sole permission to be in their area to hunt them) aren't typically on alert. They get little pressure....and they're completely safe on one side of where they come out to feed. They're STILL jumpy, sometimes, when they are en route to their feeding areas. I take it they just hear things a LOT better than I/we do....and they're just being cautious.

You don't ention wind direction....but in the scenario you describe....it doesn't sound, to me, like you were winded. I also don't think you describe anything that would lead me to think a buck had to be there.

And on the scent killer thing......

I use it quite liberally. It's not a cover scent.....it's a scent eliminator. I've tried only Scent away.....E3 (DDW).....and White Lightning.....but I can't smell any of the ones I'm using. What are you using???

I'd say your does were on alert.....though mild.....and I wouldn't worry about it.

jeff
Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry,
According to the weather channel, wind was calm. And it was relatively calm, but a slight wind, which is always the case, and shifty, according to my string. So I guess it’s hard to say.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,
I've used a few of the sprays that are supposed to trap human odor on the molecular level. They were not cover scents, the one I used the most was "scent killer", I think it is made by Hunter Research. The other I don't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure it was made by the same people who make my "sport wash" laundry detergent. All the products that I have tried seem to have a smell. And it may even be the same smell/ingredient? Everything from my body soap/shampoo, deodorant, sport wash laundry detergent, scent killer and so on. Smells almost like cheap dishwasher liquid to me. No perfume or anything, but a different recognizable scent.
I bought some carbon spray this year, but I'm reluctant to use it because of my experience in the past with the other products.
My father always soaked his stuff in water and hung it outside, so that is what I did/do. It wasn't until a few years ago that I thought I'd been busted enough that I may need to try some products, so I went all out. I got busted more that season than any other in my history of hunting. The labels sound good and all, but I have a hard time accepting that deer can't smell the chemicals in these products.
My best seasons I've just hung my clothes out after every hunt, limit cover/lure scents and make sure I don't sweat, even if that means no shirt in bow season, which I'm sure you can relate to in NC.

Call me crazy but I started a test last year and I'm still working on it. I have multiple sets of hunting/non hunting coveralls, and I've been trying to trick my dog into not being able to find me. It's hard to say what is working the best since some days he's more interested in who pee'd on what in our yard than finding me, but I think he's had the hardest time finding me when I've used very little hunter soap/shampoo in the shower. Very little hunting deodorant, clothes washed in water only and hung outside. Boots, gloves, hats, pack and etc, left in a trash bag, which contains fresh dirt and leaves.

Good luck, and thanks for the response.
KP
Old 12-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love and use Scent Killer and have had great success with it. It's not a cure all as I also descent my clothing and myself prior to dressing and descenting afterward.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Site Buck Guru

Well, if it was one of those "variable" wind days, it's quite possible that they did get a whiff of you. They may have been confused as where the scent was comming from. It seems that immature bucks, does and fawns feel the need to verify with a second sense. When they couldn't, they nervously moved on. If a mature buck gets a whiff o fyou, he's gone. They only need half a reason to leave.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

What's the predator situation like around you? If your scent control was handled, scent blocker,killer or what ever other method, It would make me wonder if something else was near.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:49 PM

It is possible that you are reading into the scenerio too much. I have had many occasions when does walk in, watching their backtrail, and nothing has followed. The wind has been in my favor, and if there was something within 100 yards I would have seen it. Sometimes deer just act weird. Don't forget that deer are curious creatures. They may have seen another animal acting strangely and decided it was worth a second, third, fourth look. I have had deer do that with racoons on many occasions. They see the animal doing something and will not stop looking at it for one reason or another.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious, did you check the soles of your boots?

Quick Reply: Was I winded by the doe, a buck, or both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.