Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who knows what I am feeling...?

Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who knows what I am feeling...?

ORIGINAL: -DeerSlayer-

First of all, I understand where you all are coming from, but I take offense to you who said "I dont feel sorry for a guy who lives in Pike County" That is about the dumbest thing I have heard, because the deer are bigger here than where you hunt, all of the sudden I have no feeling? To hell with that, I am SICK of being critiqued for living where I do. I am fortunate, I know, but you don't have to act like because of where I live, my situation shouldn't matter, theres more deer that are big out there. If you even read my story, you would understand that I was hunting ONE buck that I was trying my damndest to connect on, and You say to me that YOU can't be sorry for me because you ASSUME that I will connect on a bigger deer. Hunting here is just the same, IF NOT harder than where you hunt, and because they grow bigger here, you think that I shouldn't feel any pain for this? This aggrivates me.
I live in Pike County, big deal, you can't understand my frustration because of what? I don't understand your coment Double Creek, and Rob. Why would you say that? I did not ask for your sympathy. I asked if anyone has been in my position before, so I really don't appriciate your comments. Am I fortunate to hunt here? YES Does that mean that I have no heart or love for the sport? NO I am sick of people acting like I should not care about all the hard work and effort I put injust because I hunt In Pike County.
For the people wo answered my question correctly, I appriciate the input, and I know I will move on and find a different buck to pursue, its just one of those spurt of the moment feelings that makes your heart drop when you find out all of your work didn't pay off.

I appologise if I was too rough, but I have taken too much crap for just hunting in Pike County, I am fortunate, I know, but there is no need to jump all over me when all I asked is if anyone has felt like I have.

I did not ask for sympathy.
OMG kid, lighten the hell up, do you not understand the ...lol behind things, do you not understand the smilies that are there to show emotions? I was basically congratulating you on a fantastic 140" buck, bigger than anything I've ever taken and if you can't see the humor in that post or the blessings behind it then cry me a freakin river, quit your sniveling and guess what, you are blessed to hunt land in Pike County IL and if you think that's harder than hunting my area, I'm laughing my ass off. Last year you shot a 170", this year saw a 180" and shot a 140"....I've hunted with a bow for 25 years and never saw a 180", nor shot a 140" let alone a 170" and believe me, I know a thing or two on how to do this. You can't shoot what doesn't exist in a given area. It's changing, perhaps in the future you'll envy my area, not the case yet.

You weren't too rough, just unjustifiably rude.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:14 PM

that sucks dude
Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Rob, I only took offense because there were NO lol's or smilies in that first comment, and you said "I have no sympathies" as if I asked you for it. i am not trying to disrespect anyone, but double creek seemed to try to offend me, and I take offense to someone making a comment toward my home county. I just went over the edge after those comments, I get offensive when people act as if I should not care about my feelings due to the area that I live. I appologize if I offended you or anything.And I am certainly not a "kid" when it comes to my hunting, I know my stuff, although i know you meant nothing by it. Although I hunt in the countries best area, I still feel pain when it comes to my hard work and dedication not following through, I am 100% satisfied, but also disheartened that a buck of that caliber that I had been hunting is dead... I am moving on, and again, I ask for no sympathy, please don't take any of my posts as if I want it. I am sorry if this offended anyone. Thank you for replying. I appriciate it, -DS-
Old 12-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

DS, very well said and I too apologize if I came across harsh in the first post, I was seriously congratulating you on a very impressive 140" buck. I do know how you feel about having one get away like that. We put a lot of hard hours in stands and more for a specific animal. I did that for two years in a row hunting one specific animal, I passed all deer and some impressive ones, no 140's but impressive and ate tag soup. I know how you feel. There will be more, good luck and again, congrats on a fantastic animal yet another year in a row.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

DeerSlayer

You are a kid!!! Well at least to many of us who have hunted " many "more years then you have been a live. Course we are still kids to Davemil but he is older then dirt itself. Dave's reply was right on the money and a very good one. Many other's have hadverygood replies also.

Yes, most probably have felt sad that a specific buck had been taken by someone else. I know I have but that is life. That is why I love bowhunting. Thereis no sure thing of taking a specific buck in my area. I can't control the bucks movements, the other hunters nor would I want to. I want to beat him at his game!! The competition from other hunters make it even more of a challenge because there are alsoa part of his game. He survived 4.5 or 5.5 years of hard huntingpressure. I expect that when I hunt a specific mature buck here. I also know no matter how hard I scout/hunt him... someone might stumble across him and kill him. That's just the breaks. You suck it up and move on which I am sure you will do.

Tyler went through that this year. He hunted a specific buck for over a month. He did everything right. Had him under 20 yards twice butcouldn't get a shot off since otherbucks got in the way.2 hunters decided to put up a hunting shack right in the buck's bedding area and ruined the spot. They are walking disasters for ruining areasand I have dealt with them for years. I knew they would eventually ruin it for him. While I was proud of him for scouting and hunting the place all by himself at age 15, I was really impressed how he handledthat situation. He was bummed a bit no doubt but he moved on. He wasn't going to let them wreck his bow season.

Best of luck with the remainder of your season. Congrats on the 140 as he is a great buck!! Also good job on not pushing it when the big buck was just out of your range with shotgun. While you might be a kid to many of us older farts, you showed morematurity then many hunters had they been in your situation!! That impressing me.

Tim

Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 AM

theres always next yr. if it was that easy, we wouldnt want too do it. we luv the challenge