Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who knows what I am feeling...?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who knows what I am feeling...?

I understand your disapointment.It is definitely natural to feel that way.But if hunting were so predictable that you could guarantee the outcome what challenge would it be.The hunter didn't shoot your deer,he shot a buck you were after.I know you understand the difference.
We all face those possibilities when pursuing specific deer.The hunter who shot that buck had as much right to it as you did given he had permission to hunt on the land he was on.Be happy for him,as you would hope he would be for you.I am sure as a result of the effort you put in for this particular buck it has made you a better hunter,benefit from that knowledge going forward.
Hey,and congratulations you killed a beautiful buck,an animal that is a legitimate trophy any where in the country. Be grateful for that and the hunting opportunities that are available to you.Many of us would give a body part to have those opportunites in our home area's.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Consider yourself fortunate to beable to hunt them and not be hunting men like the boys in Iraq at Christmas time. Consider yourself fortunate to have a woods to hunt where an "Also Ran" buck measures 140 inches. And then to have a 180 class buck running around too. You're a fortunate young man. Enjoy the hunt. Sure it's tough to set a plan and fail. That's hunting. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Sometimes the other guy wins. If this is the worse disaster to strike you you'll be a very fortunate man. Enjoy the challenge and the hunt. That 180 wouldn't eat any better than the small buck. We should all be so lucky to have a place to hunt that is obviously not controlled that holds this quality of deer.
Words of Wisdom!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Site Buck Guru

It's tough, but it happens. Get back out there and see what else is around. Concentrate on having fun. That's what this is all about.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give my left....thumbfor the buck you killed with your shotgun. I've had it happen to me also, not with a 180" buck, but I know the feeling. You'll get over it, plus you still have over a month of bowseason left here in IL. Get out there and tag a buck. The week between Christmas and New Years is usually really good around here in So. IL. Don't give up.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

First of all, I understand where you all are coming from, but I take offense to you who said "I dont feel sorry for a guy who lives in Pike County" That is about the dumbest thing I have heard, because the deer are bigger here than where you hunt, all of the sudden I have no feeling? To hell with that, I am SICK of being critiqued for living where I do. I am fortunate, I know, but you don't have to act like because of where I live, my situation shouldn't matter, theres more deer that are big out there. If you even read my story, you would understand that I was hunting ONE buck that I was trying my damndest to connect on, and You say to me that YOU can't be sorry for me because you ASSUME that I will connect on a bigger deer. Hunting here is just the same, IF NOT harder than where you hunt, and because they grow bigger here, you think that I shouldn't feel any pain for this? This aggrivates me.
I live in Pike County, big deal, you can't understand my frustration because of what? I don't understand your coment Double Creek, and Rob. Why would you say that? I did not ask for your sympathy. I asked if anyone has been in my position before, so I really don't appriciate your comments. Am I fortunate to hunt here? YES Does that mean that I have no heart or love for the sport? NO I am sick of people acting like I should not care about all the hard work and effort I put injust because I hunt In Pike County.
For the people wo answered my question correctly, I appriciate the input, and I know I will move on and find a different buck to pursue, its just one of those spurt of the moment feelings that makes your heart drop when you find out all of your work didn't pay off.

I appologise if I was too rough, but I have taken too much crap for just hunting in Pike County, I am fortunate, I know, but there is no need to jump all over me when all I asked is if anyone has felt like I have.

I did not ask for sympathy.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree, and would like to be your friend...

Can I come and hunt with you, at your place, to make you feel better?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: -DeerSlayer-

First of all, I understand where you all are coming from, but I take offense to you who said "I dont feel sorry for a guy who lives in Pike County" That is about the dumbest thing I have heard, because the deer are bigger here than where you hunt, all of the sudden I have no feeling? To hell with that, I am SICK of being critiqued for living where I do. I am fortunate, I know, but you don't have to act like because of where I live, my situation shouldn't matter, theres more deer that are big out there. If you even read my story, you would understand that I was hunting ONE buck that I was trying my damndest to connect on, and You say to me that YOU can't be sorry for me because you ASSUME that I will connect on a bigger deer. Hunting here is just the same, IF NOT harder than where you hunt, and because they grow bigger here, you think that I shouldn't feel any pain for this? This aggrivates me.
I live in Pike County, big deal, you can't understand my frustration because of what? I don't understand your coment Double Creek, and Rob. Why would you say that? I did not ask for your sympathy. I asked if anyone has been in my position before, so I really don't appriciate your comments. Am I fortunate to hunt here? YES Does that mean that I have no heart or love for the sport? NO I am sick of people acting like I should not care about all the hard work and effort I put injust because I hunt In Pike County.
For the people wo answered my question correctly, I appriciate the input, and I know I will move on and find a different buck to pursue, its just one of those spurt of the moment feelings that makes your heart drop when you find out all of your work didn't pay off.

I appologise if I was too rough, but I have taken too much crap for just hunting in Pike County, I am fortunate, I know, but there is no need to jump all over me when all I asked is if anyone has felt like I have.
I think they are basically letting you know how fortunate you are to live in an area of this country that constantly produces trophy class bucks. That buck you shot would be the talk of the county where I live in NY. They simply do not exist.I would consider myself the luckiest man on earth just to be able to see a buck that scored 180"..

I also agree you should get a scope for that shotgun.. You would have had that deer and not typing the blues so the blame is on who??
Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

So ya live in pike co. o.k. thats cool,
Anyway,back to the kid who started this thing,Yup it was a kick in the gonads,But heres a secret.There is alwayse a bigger one out there,and from the looks of your pic. you have alot of years ahead of you.Stay focussed and keep doing what you are doing because it seems to be working for you.Most people dont get in there and get to know the big bucks so personally before they shoot em,Thats why they get one every now and then.No sir,You keep at it and they will be more common.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would I be disappointed? Sure, I do see where you are coming from... But the good thing is thatthere's always going to be that 180 class buck out there, when you're hunting a good area. Even though the big buck is gone this year, next year or the year after, their will be another one in there to chase of that size. I've had similar things happen like that to me. Just have to find a different deer, for the next season. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I totally agree, and would like to be your friend...

Can I come and hunt with you, at your place, to make you feel better?
I fully expected Mowtown to come up with something like this. He let me down or are you...

Hey Deer slayer. They were just ribbing you. Based upon your origanal post and your reaction to the replys, I think you are out of line. You asked. I personaly don't care. Why did you want or it seems need that 180 anyways?

Quick Reply: Who knows what I am feeling...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.