Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

long axle to axle -vs- short

Old 12-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default long axle to axle -vs- short

Your opinion? I prefer long for accuracy,less canter. My dad shoots a bowtech mighty mite(short)and shooting his bow I notice alot more canter,resulting in inaccuracy.I don`t complain about getting around in the woods,I`m used to it.It`s heavy would be my only complaint(9#) I like to walk with an arrow nocked up,holding all the weight with one hand,but again I`m used to it.Which do you prefer and why?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: long axle to axle -vs- short

I like a longer bow because i dont like to shoot with a release....as far as getting around in the woods, I also hunt some with traditional equipment and thats the way i learned how to hunt so anything seems short compared to a 64" recurve...
Old 12-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer a short A to A. I hunt in thick areas and I only like to clear away what I need to make a good shot. A shorter bow puts my mind at ease that I won't get a stick in a cam and derail my bow upon release. I also like tobow huntMulies in Wyoming and Montana and like the shorter lighter bow for that. Easier to move around. I also like to shoot sighting in my stands and that make it nice and easy with a short bow.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer the short ATA, this is why I shoot the Mighty Mite! It has a good brace height and light weight. This bow is the ultimate tree stand bow, it is everything I was looking for in a Bow and then some! I did shoot all the new Mathews, Hoyt and Bowtechs at the time and this bow was the best for me!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 AM

Coming from another Mighty mite shooter. I think you are right Jesus loves archers. When practicing shooting in the backyard i often notice I too cantor my bow sometimes. It is a really light bow which doesnt help either. A heavier bow will help stabilize a shot, making you more accurate. When it comes to me shooting my mighty mite in the woods I have only missed twice out of 7 deer, and one was a 40 yrd shot, so i really think my cantoring of my bow is from being tired while target practicing. My next bow will definitely be around a 33" ATA, but you can shoot short ATA bows well too.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

The longer the better for finger shooters. The only problem I have had with mine was trying to shoot out of some ground blinds. Been pondering trying a release for times when I need a shorter bow.

MC Bowhunter
Old 12-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also prefer to shoot a short ATAbow thats why i went witha bowtech justice 31 1/2, Sence I mostly hunt out of a treein thick areas it seem to make sence to me to buy a short ATA,so i did a couple yrs ago.
I have been extremely happy with it.
My two nephew`s also went with a short ATAbow.
one wentwith a tomcat, and the other went with a Mighty Mite, there also very pleased with there choice.