Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No man's land

Old 12-05-2006, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Default No man's land

Yes. I performed a search. Nothing.

I've been hunting deer only 1+ yrs. In that time....I've butchered 11 animals, though (4 of mine). I'm having a hard time believing this place exists......WHEN THE WEAPON IS A BROADHEAD TIPPED ARROW.....AND ITS SHOT FROM AN ELEVATED PERCH.

I can be swayed, though......if someone will provide some good evidence to the contrary.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: No man's land

No comments?????

I'm surprised!

Jeff
Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

I have to agree SB. In 17 years I have never seen where that would be possible. I have been wrong before.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is my theory

No mans land has been created by poor setups. Meaning a high hit use to punch through the rib cage, is now deflecting of it. Because of arrow weight being too light and arrow not spined correctly. Mech are issue here I think also. Do I think there is a no mans land, no. Do I think bad setups are causing hunters to lose deer, Yes!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do think there is a spot where you can put an arrow into the front of the chest cavity and not kill the animal. It is unlikely that this will happen though when shooting from an elevated perch. I do also think that the majority of the time when people think they hit this spot, they indeed did not and actually hit above the spine. The spine is lower than most think or realize.

My stepmom is a vet, and she will claim that ruminants do indeed have a small space between lungs and spine in the chest cavity, especially if the lungs aren't fully inflated at the time of impact. We had 2 sheep that were shot in our field in front of the house when I was a kid. Both were shot in the same place, one died and one lived. I was there and helped with the surgery on the animal that lived andshe definitely had a hole going into the chest cavity between lungs and spine without hitting anything. Other than bleeding, there were no major complications and the sheep lived a happy healthy life.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take it for what it's worth, but I shot a doe this year and hit her high and a bit far back. Judging from what I saw it looked like it hit directly above where the liver would be. 25 yard shot from a treestand at 20 feet-ish. Clean pass through, nothing but some hair and a lot of fat on the arrow. Next to zero blood.

Since that day, this doe has been spotted two other times on the same property with no outward signs of a being injured other than a mark on her back where the arrow went through. One of these sightings was only seconds after she was hit as she casually walked through the woods, stopping every now and again to lick the wound, then feed and basically act as if nothing was wrong. The second sighting was nearly 3 weeks later as she was being pushed around by a buck during the rut. Again, no outward signs of injury other than the telltale marking on her back.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Those people who dont believe in "No Mans Land" are wrong and I hope they dont learn about it the hard way. If you butcher a deer it is easy to see the area where you cut out the backstraps...that area is about 3-4 inches high of just bone, if you add an inch of fat and additional muscle and probably 2 inches of fur it could appear to be as much as six inches above the spine!!! If you hit a deer here he will not die (at least not likely) and it can appear to be a good shot!!!!!!! I have hit deer there and seen them months later with little more than missing hair!!!!!!!!

I am suprised that anyone could dispute that this area exists...espicially after butchering a deer....

Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a 8 point this year and to my suprise, when I rolled him over to look for the entry/exit hole, I found that he had been shot.

About 6 inches of aarow with a broadhead was still in the deer. The broadhead was about 1/2 inch below the spine and above the lungs. The angle of the aarow indicated to me that the hunter was on the ground when the shot was made.

The deer was not limping and he was behaving normal. He actually came into a grunt and can call. After I skinned him out, I found that the wound was nothing more than a flesh wound.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Intersting points, HuntnGus what type broadhead was it?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Intersting points, HuntnGus what type broadhead was it?
It was a fixed blade 100gr Satelite.........to the best of my knowledge.

The shot looked pretty good at the surface, but actually hit nothing.

Quick Reply: No man's land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.