Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No man's land

Old 12-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: No man's land

Thx

Do think is deflected off, or just nothing to hit?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do think is deflected off, or just nothing to hit?
Not real sure. If it deflected off of anything it would have had to have been the spine, but you would think that would have dropped him if so.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not knowing weight of the arrow and spine I would love to know. Underspined and under weight would the arrow have enough punch to get through? Would the arrow flex to much and deflect down or up?

I do not know, intersting topic
Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have found wounds on deer that make me believe just about anything is possible.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I have found wounds on deer that make me believe just about anything is possible.

I am in concurrence with this statement. I cannot count the amount of times I have been simply bewildered with how deer could live through some of the shots/wounds I've seen........ as well as the amount of blood loss on more than one occassion.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Well let me tell you a story about an elk hunt this year. I shot a small 3x4 bull at a water hole at approx 54 yards PASS THRU with an easton axis 400 with wasp boss bullet. I thought the shot was good and the guy I was with swore up and down it was good. A little high but good front to back. The next morning we found a very small blood trail and followed it for 400 yards and then it dried up! We followed tracks a little longer and then lost those as well. 7 hours we looked for that elk and never found it! Nor enough blood to convince us that it had passed. The thing ran straight up hill and over the top. SO TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH I AM A BELIEVER!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

On two occasions I have seen deer take an arrow and leave with it protruding out of both sides. The first I watched for about 45 minutes after impactas it milled around a doe. Both shots looked good left to right both were what I would consider to be somewhat high.

This fall I took a young doe that had been shot sometime earlier this fall. It had to be a complete pass through for there was not broadhead or arrow in her when she was skinned. You could see where the three blade head had gone through her, again good left to right but high. She had some infection from the wound but I fully believe she would have been okay. She did not exhibit any signs of physical problems i.e. weight, limping etc.

Label this area what you want, all I know is I have seen enough real evidence to know that survival of a certain type of high hit is indeed possible and in many cases probable.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: passthrough24

Those people who dont believe in "No Mans Land" are wrong and I hope they dont learn about it the hard way. If you butcher a deer it is easy to see the area where you cut out the backstraps...that area is about 3-4 inches high of just bone, if you add an inch of fat and additional muscle and probably 2 inches of fur it could appear to be as much as six inches above the spine!!! If you hit a deer here he will not die (at least not likely) and it can appear to be a good shot!!!!!!! I have hit deer there and seen them months later with little more than missing hair!!!!!!!!
Passthrough, the "No Man's Land" or "No Zone" is considered above the lungs and below the spine, not above the spine.

Personally, I'm unsure. I've never shot a deer there personally, so I have no experience. But I do know for sure that hogs have them due to how low and forward the lungs sit in the chest cavity.

Also, I bleieve that elk have that area as well. It may be exaggerated due to the size of the animal, orthe fact that very few elk are taken out of a stand. But whatever it is, I believe it exists.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also a firm believer in "No man's land"

I've hit a deer in this spot. The arrow stayed in the deer.So, I saw exactly where it hit.I watched the deer go for abot75 yards.Fletching sticking out one side and the broadhed sticking out the other. I could hear the arrow hitting on twigs and brush as the deer trotted away.I was young and was using a Bear Whitetail bow. The shot was good left to right but a little too high. I, my father and some friends trailed the deer a long, long way. I'd guess a half mile but that was over 20 years ago. There wasn't much of a blood trail just a few drops here and there.

Most guys gut a deer with it on its back. Gravity causes the lungs to lay against the spine. They see this and assume that there is no " No man's land". If a deer is on the hoof and alive, gravity would cause the lungs to hang down. I believe if the lungs are deflated as a deer exhales, this would cause an arrow to pass through and not cause a vital hit.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i also believe in the no mans land area , two years ago i shot a doe at about 10 yards and due to the terrain she was almost level with me at the time , she went across the ravine and stood by a pine tree , about 25 yards away from me but due to the trees in the way i could not get another arrow into her , i was looking at the blood spot on her side getting bigger , she layed down for about 1/2 hour , got up and trotted away , i took up the trail about 2 hours later trailed for 3 hours till she got with enough other deer to wipe out any blood trail

Quick Reply: No man's land

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.