Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody shoot without a peep? No sight?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Anybody shoot without a peep? No sight?

i've gone back and forth with peep no peep over the years. I'm now shooting w/ out a peep again, which is the best hands down for hunting situations. I found the peep limiting when i actually had an animal in front of me. It works for me well enough to keep the peep off my bow, and concentrate on form.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Guys.....I CERTAINLY appreciate the answers, so far.....but in my VERY limited experience in bows.....somebody's gonna have to break it down for me in simplest form. I can't comprehend what you guys are saying.

If I choose not to use a peep AT ALL.....how do I aim? Is it through practice and instinct....and the anchor point being in the same spot? Other?

If I have a peep but no kisser button.....is it, again, the consistent anchor?

No peep....no kisser......??????

I can see how form would drive ALL of these choices. I like to shoot my bow.....but I KNOW with a kisser and a peep.....I'm not going to be that far off (and that's relative, as I'm sure all of you are proficient shooters).

I'd just like to know if I'm limiting myself .....utilizing a peep and a kisser button.....and if I'm going to be switching bows (primary)....it would seem to be a good time to experiment.

Thanks

jeff
Old 12-04-2006, 12:42 PM

I have often toyed with the idea myself of gettin rid of mine however i drilled the one i have out a bit more and there seems to be an adequate amount of light coming through it. I find that when i lose the light i am right around shooting time anyways so it keeps me honest. I do not shoot enough or have good enough form and consistency to go without it i think.It has cost me shots b4 yes but those were probably shots i shouldn't have been taking in the first place anyways.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

The reason I stopped using a peep is because my bowstring started fraying near the peep sight. Also, the rubber hose for aligning the peep would break periodically, and did not want to have to rely on this.
Now instead I use a marker where the peep was. Works fine. I guess I could move this down to kisser level, but no need to change what works.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

If I choose not to use a peep AT ALL.....how do I aim? Is it through practice and instinct....and the anchor point being in the same spot? Other?

Practice, practice, practice.... and try to stick with one bow.Back when Iwas'good' with a bow and didn't use ahindsight thingy, I shot every day, all year long. You'll need to practice shooting at weird angles too.Standing, sitting,leaning around a tree, up hill, down hill, etc.....That's where you'll be most likely to mess up your anchor point or torque your bow.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

thanks......and skyguy......you're NOW hitting on something I want to hear more about (remember...I'm really still new to all this). I was wondering why a man couldn't have some sort of "marker" on his bowstring where a peep might be......to align with his sight pin(s). Can someone expound?

Thanks!

jeff
Old 12-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the Eradicator still exist? I am surfing right now ..not having any luck. I have thought about it for years, getting away from a peep all together..

ah here it is... I thought about this one http://www.eradicator.com/index.html
Old 12-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Site Buck Guru

I have two friends that hunt without a peep. They still use sights. They say that they can get on target faster. I believe them, I just can't do it or am afraid to. It's the target shooter in me. If you go without it, you'll have to make sure you've got your anchor point(s) down pat, because your losing one of them. The one guy has 24 P&Ys, never entered one of them.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Now.....WHY I am interested.....

Rob/PA was down here a few weeks ago.....and we had deer in or set EARLY one morning. I asked Rob if he could see his sights/peep (after we came down). he said "sure". I couldn't see a thing in my sight or peep. Admittedly....We were 2-3 minutes from enough shooting light for ME.....but had Rob had the angle I had......he'd have shot a doe I named "Cadillac" (she's long and sleek). The difference between harvesting a trophy animal and not harvesting one.......could depend on my equipment in the future. I won't condone shooting in the dark....but we'll leave ethics out of this equation. Rob had sufficient light to shoot. I didn't (based on my equipment). I want to give myself EVERY LEGAL advantage. That's why I asked the questions I ask(ed).

For the record.....I'm currently utilizing the SH Hunter Hogg-it. it's a great target sight.....but about as pitiful a hunting sight as I've seen. I liked Rob's Viper sight.....and I'll likely ask for one for Christmas.

Thanks for all of your replies......and I'm still interested in that "marker thing" i.l.o. the peep.

Sincerely

jeff
Old 12-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

i have one site pin set at 20 yards and put my index finger at the side of my nose just above my mustash....when i move my index finger to the corner of my mouth my 20 yard pin becomes a 30 yard pin....when i put all three fingers under the arrow on the string and use my nose as my achor point the 20 yard pin becomes a 10 yard pin fer close shots....i've been shooting like this since 1980 and have never changed a thing....with only 2 deer lost due to bad hits as the deer jumped at the shot in 35+ deer with my bow since 1980 i'm sticking to it....no release, kisser button or pep site to fail on me....and with three shots in three years with three deer in the freezer and two arrows used..............bob

Quick Reply: Anybody shoot without a peep? No sight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.