Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

% of bucks that die a natural death?

Old 12-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: % of bucks that die a natural death?

i disagree, i go to this low fecnced deer preserve where theres no hunting, and the deer run right up to people and get hand fed apples and stuff, and you never see a deer that is older than 5.5, and the winters arent that bad, and only 2 deer got killed by cars here last year... maybe in captivity 10+ years, but wild i dont think so, not even under these good conditions.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think there lucky to hit 7 years. I also think the % that get to that age is fairly low. 25% maybe. Out of all these deer killed show me one that is 10.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think there lucky to hit 7 years. I also think the % that get to that age is fairly low. 25% maybe. Out of all these deer killed show me one that is 10.
That's what I was thinking. I was figuring on 7-8 years max. You don't hear of too many 10 year old deer killed. I would guess 5-10% that reach that level.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bet over 50% of the deer die from "non hunting" deaths, these include, disease, coyote, old age, cars, injuries from fights.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 AM

My friend shot a buck with a rifle two seasons ago that had zero teeth. He had the deer aged by the MCD and they aged it as an 8 y/o. I don't see a deer living much longer than that in the wild than 8-10 years...Too many predators that can take it down when they get older and weaker.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bob H in NH

I bet over 50% of the deer die from "non hunting" deaths, these include, disease, coyote, old age, cars, injuries from fights.
you forgot the worse killer of them all, WINTER [:'(]
Old 12-04-2006, 12:10 PM

I haven't been sending out "Happy Birthday" cards to the bucks in my area every year but I am sure there are not manythat are over7 years old.

10 years old seems to be stretching it IMO.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:25 PM

20 years was the oldest recorded age of a captive deer.

As with most ungulate type animials, their "natural" lifespan, if not limited by disease or predation, is limited by the wear of their teeth.

A deer that eats primarily soft mast or grasses does not wear their teeth away as fast as one that lives on sticks and nuts. That deer will therefore keep its teeth longer and therefore live longer.

Once past age 2.5, there's no accurate way to age a buck except to compare the wearing of their teeth to that of others of known age. But those "standards" that we see for sale are of pen raised deer, not wild deer (how else would you "know" their age.) so their diet may have been vastly different than the one you shoot in the wild.

That said? My guess is that a 10 year old deer is gonna be called "Gramps" buy just about all of the others.

The % of them that make it there? I'd guess about 1% in my area of the world.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

on average around here they get to be 3.5 at the most
Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good post Trem.

Quick Reply: % of bucks that die a natural death?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.