Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Binoculars-what to look for?

Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Binoculars-what to look for?

I'm in the market for a new pair of binoculars. These are supposed to be a Christmas present for me and we are on a budget. I know that you get what you pay for with binoculars and to get the best ones you can afford. That said, I can't afford the best - not even close.

What I want is this. I want good light gathering capability, NO FOGGING and a decent, clear field of view. I'm steering away from the cheap, small compacts that I've been using because they have none of the major things I just listed. I'm guessing I'll need something like an 8X42 or bigger, but I don't want something huge hanging around my neck.

I have no clue what type of prism is better or what lenses are best, etc. so any tips you all can offer are appreciated.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Binoculars-what to look for?

really for me it depends on the terrain. I had invested about 120$ in a great tasco pair of long range lenses but i seem to be hunting more and more woods so I switched it up to a $29.99 special at my local farm and fleet and I love my new compacts more than any other binoc's. They even stood up to the -4 degrees we had yesterday, great pair. So it think its really up to you..
Old 12-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmmm, how much do u want for the other bino's ?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I was in the same boat you're in.....earlier this season. I wanted the same things you wanted in a quality pair of field glasses.

I settled on the Nikon Monarch ATB's....in the 8X42. I didn't need anything higher than an 8X....because I'm whitetail hunting.....in the woods. I'm not looking THAT far away. I paid about $255 for mine.....and I've never looked back. They have been the SINGLE best archery hunting investment I've made since my bow.

Good luck. Greg/MO also has these glasses.....and I know his review made my decision easier. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for the things you are.

Sincerely

jeff
Old 12-04-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thingyou might consider are the type of binos that don't need to be focused past 15 yards. I really like those. The ones I ended up settling on are the Steiner Predetors in 8x32. I would say if I had it to do over again I would have gone with something in the 40's but the 8x is plenty ofmagnification to get you out to 300 yards. Also to get much better glass than a Steiner you have to spend a lot. I paid in the low 200's for mine.

Tom
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm in a different boat. I'm glass ing 200 yards and I like to see what I'm looking at. I carry a pair of 10X50 Bruntons, incredible field glasses. I really liked Jeff's Nikkons for a smaller set. If I remember correctly, the Bruntons were around $200 at the time of purchase. They've never let me down but they are larger than the Nikkons Jeff described.

I wear my rangefinder on my bino strap on my chest. My bino's are on a 2" web strap that is long enough to wear over one shoulder and hangs at my hip. You see a lot of 3D shooters with this type of setup because it makes them very comfortable and easy to use.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have 10X42 Swaroski and the 8x30 Swaroski SLC.

1100.00 and 830retail.

I paid 550.00 for the 10X42 and 354.00 a for the 8X30. Find a friend works for Cabelas[8D]
Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 AM
EBB
Spike

I have an excellent MONOcular. Don't know it's magnification specs off hand but I've used it on countless canoe trips, hiking & hunting trips.
I like it b/c it's smaller & lighter when packing for the woods.
...just a thought.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

So is it wrong to just pay attention to FOV@1000 yards. I always look at that but the more I read the more I know I am wrong. Wouldnt I want want one that was 280 at 1000 yards instead of 380 at 1000 yards. I am tired of buying the cheap O's and am wanting a good pair in the 2-300 range also.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:19 PM

If you wear eyeglasses, you'll want a minimum of about 15mm of eye relief for comfortably viewing the entire field of view. The more eye relief the better field of view.

Quick Reply: Binoculars-what to look for?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.