Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dogs

Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Dogs

if you think the dogs actually belong to someone you should seriously confront them especially if these dogs are some kids pet.

if they are wild dogs which are basically homeless you should really call the dog catcher and let them handle the problem. If they seem sick I would consiser shooting them but there are better solutions. Personally I have 2 dogs which I consider my children.... I could never shoot anyone's pet and if someone ever shot my dog there would be some hell to pay if I found out and that is after my wife gets done with you
Old 12-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'd say that it is a little more like this (in my opinion) - What you are shooting could be someone’s family companion or pet. That is the difference to answer your question, and to me, that is a pretty big difference. My dog has a collar, he also works at the farm behind my house. Farmer calls and needs help, we let Buddy out, and he goes to work. On occasion, he has come back missing his collar. What if my dog got shot on your land while on his way home from work?
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case here, but I think you owe it to the owner to give them the benefit of the doubt. Some let their dogs run, others don't. If they find out that their dog is a problem, maybe they'll fix it. Maybe not, but I don't think it's fair to not give them a chance.
I love my dog, if he were to get shot, because he happened to cross your property, and you did nothing to try to put an end to it in a fair manner, I promise you, you'd regret it. In fact there would probably come a point where you might even say it was the stupidest thing that you ever did.
But my dog doesn't run. And on the flip side, if you do notify the owners and they do nothing, well that'sa different situation all together.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

KP,
Problem is, it is "All or nothing"

If You Go to the owner and they do nothing, then You spend your ENTIRE season trapping HIS dogs, calling animal control, meeting animal control.
You see the dogs once or twice, set traps, check traps, check traps, haul trap/dog out, call Animal control, etc, etc, etc.
Even though you just spent your whole season chasing HIS dogs, the county only sees it as ONE time (You only caught his dog one time).

They are not going to take his dogs away for getting loose "one time" each year, heck they wont even fine him for "one time" each year.

Only one of 4 out comes possible:

1) You can sit in Your tree and do nothing, spend the season watching
his dogs, run/kill all the deer off Your property.

2) You can confront Him/Her, and they will suddenly realize what a jerk
They have been, they will sell all but one dog, stop drinking, buy it a
shockcollar/fence, build it a kennel and make it a loved family pet that
does not run free, and wonder how they could such a slob there whole
life, and then start a mission for orphaned children.

3) You can spend your season trapping the dogs and dealing with the
county. BTW when a dog DOES come up missing (because some other
land owner shot it) YOU WILL BE BLAMED!, now that EVERYONE knows
The dogs are pissing you off.

4) SSS

I am not saying what is the correct response to the problem, but these are the ONLY 4 out comes, and dont hold your breath on #2. You choose how You want to spend the season.

Slack
Old 12-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Tell the owner of the dogs, or just shoot them [jk]
Old 12-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: scsohunter

For those of you who are against shooting these "wild" dogs, do you have a problem with shooting a yote or a wolf. IMO there is no difference between them. Hell eventually, if there is a female, the yotes are going to mate with her and then what do you have. A "hybrid" that isnt afraid of humans. I think its an unwritten law, if you have a collarless dog chasing deer through the woods put it down. If its collared, get a hold of it, take it back and tell them next time you wont be so nice. Bottom line is there really isnt a difference between the damage a dog or a yote will do the the wildlife.
I don't have a problem shooting a Coyote because its legal to shoot them here in Wisconsin year around except during the gun deer season. It is illegal to shoot Dogs and Wolves! I enjoy my privilege to be able to hunt, thats why I don't do anything illegal to harm that privilege! But to each his own! JMO!
Old 12-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not saying that you shouldn't shoot the dogs. I just think that the owner should be given the opportunity to contain the dog. Like I said before, if they care, they will take care of it. If they don't care, you will take care of it. Of course it won't be a secret who did it, just don't admit to it. Soon, you won't have any dogs running on your property. They will either be contained or dead. How can the owner blame you, if they are the ones who ultimately chose the dogs fate?
I know the season is short and your opportunities are limited. All I'm suggesting is give the owner one chance. And tell them, "this is your one chance".