Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much venison do you guys eat??

Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How much venison do you guys eat??

For me, half of each deer goes to the land owner where I took it. The rest gets cut into steaks (back strap) or used for jerkey, smoked summer sausage or breakfast sausage...all home made. I could easily use 5 deer in one year, but so far only have two.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

We got two this year. Here where I live we dont get the 3-4 tags drawn per person so its usually just one tag per person, but with my kids and I we got 2 out of 3 this year and I process everything myself. Burger steaks and jerky. Sometimes I will regrind some of the burger up into sausage, which is pretty good. My wife made a casaroul last night with the vinesin and it wasnt quite so good with it over burger. But most other things are great that way. I love deer burgers done up in the Gearge Foreman grill, a nice crust on each side and no fat to speak of. Very good indeed.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 3 last year and used alot up on sausage and snack sticks. I give alot of the sausage away to the family around Christmas. Plus my family goes through about 6 pounds in a week. We cook up allot of roasts for eating and shredding into BBQ sandwiches. We also eat alot of steaks as well.

I believe we could consume 4 deer a year with my wife and I and out Daughter. My family is groing so I guess I will have to start shooting more deer every year.l
Old 12-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep all my venision to myself! Yes I'm greedy. J.K.

I try to eat some at least a couple of times a week. My buddies also hunt and don't eat it as much as I do so I go over for meals at thier places. I also entertain company and will pull out some loin for them to try on occaision.

Tom
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm in college and the guys in my house love venison. We eat about 4 deer a year DURING SCHOOL. That's no kidding either. Generally I try to kill 4 and if we don't eat it all there will be just barely enough left for me to ration through the rest of the summer. I vacum seal all my stuff and freeze it in the deep freezer, works well for me. But yeah I actually eat that much meat along with my roommates.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother and I usually put 5-6 in the freezer every year and that gets our whole family through the year. I just finished eating 2 bar-b-q's from the deer that we canned this year. It don't get any better than that.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh that canned meat is unreal. I love the stuff.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot 3 this year and they are almost gone already. I hope to get 2 more in dec. That will make me till spring. My 11 and 9 yr old eat the stuff like they are starving.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken 4 this season myself and my son took a doe just last weekend.
I will take 4-5 deer a season.
What I do is keep a couple of young does just for freezer meat and have about 2 or 3 most likely the bigger bucks, made into jerkey,I keep some jerky for my own family. My kids love deer jerky and its better than them just eating junk food like chips ect.. I give away alot of jerkyto my friends they love the stuff!!
If i take any more deer than that i will give it to a friend or family member that don`t hunt but really likes or needs the meat.
It always gets put to good use
Old 12-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I'm a little surprised by the answers. Growing up our family (6 people)would eat about 10deer a year. (3 or 4 people filling 3 tags a piece)But we used it for everything. I didn't have beef until I was about 16 I think. But then again we were too poor to buy beef so that could have been another reason too.

Quick Reply: How much venison do you guys eat??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.