Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Deer in Snow

Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Deer in Snow

I just got back in this morning from harvesting my first deer ever in the snow. In wasn't with a bow however (shotgun season in Illinois), but I rarely visit the gun forum and spend all of my time on here with the rest of you guys.

I actually didn't plan on hunting this morning and woke up around 8 and saw some tracks crossing my driveway into a bedding area.I was in a pair of nike swish pants and a white long sleeve shirt with my blaze orange on and stalked up on the deer. 5 of them total (4 does and a fork). Picked the biggest doe out of the bunch andshot her at 80 yards.

Sorry I posted this in the bowhunting forum, but it seems like it gets more action than the gun forum.

IBH
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 AM

Default RE: First Deer in Snow

Hey great job on taking your frist deer in the snow
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's meat in the freezer and on the table no matter how you harvest it, congrats
Old 12-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

i love hunting in the snow
Old 12-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since you saw the tracks, identified them as fresh, stalked up on the deer (in civi clothes, no less) and took less than an 80-yard shot with a shotgun... OK, we'll let your post stay!! [8D]

Seriously... Congratulations. Only thing I would think you probably missed out on is seeing a blood trail in the snow... those are awesome!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Seriously... Congratulations. Only thing I would think you probably missed out on is seeing a blood trail in the snow... those are awesome!
Absolutely. I have a friend who is red/green color blind. My first and only shot at a deer with a flintlocked resulted in a perfect 10 ring hit (I found out later)...when I approached the hit area and my friend approached and asked if I hit it, I said, what do you think? He said, man, let me track this one, I can actually see the blood...LOL

He's one hell of a tracker when the blood stop though, that's how he learned by not seeing it in the first place.

But I hijack....

Congratulations on your "gun" kill.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was a blood trail, but I could see it go down from the top of the ridge.