Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many ?

Old 12-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many ?

Just curious, how many in here like to bowhunt from the ground?My first bowkill was a doe I snuck up on in the standing corn.Then I hunted from treestands for a lot of years, but after while a lot of other guys started bowhunting and the few trees we have in good areas became crowded.I bought a groundblind and hated it, it was hard to see from and just felt like I stuck out sitting in it.The last 4 or 5 years Ive hunted almost entirely from the ground, sitting in the edges of feeding areas, spot and stalk, a lotta still hunting.Ive learned quite a bit about what to do and not to do and kill deer every year this way.I still scare more deer then I get in range and have only taken one good buck out of various stalks on them but every time I screw up I try to learn from it and mostly just laugh at my mistakes.Still, getting a arrow in a doe thats only a few feet from you is as exciting as any buck Ive ever taken fro a treestand if not more so.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many ?

I've only ever taken one whitetail from the ground with my bow. That was last years buck, my BDay buck from last years contest. That was from a ground while turkey hunting with my bow. I would however like to do it again. I just love sitting in trees. It rejuvinates me.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had luck with both ground and treestand , The best thing about groundblind hunting is that you can get away with a little more movement as long as youremain quite.
The important thing about using a ground blind is to blend it in to make it look more natural using deadfall branches and brush with leaves on them.
This way the deer and other game such as turkeys won't be to alarmed or nervous when they walk in to range and notice something a little diffrent.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive brushed my blinds in before, I actually have one out now that you cant see unless your about 20/30 ft away and know its there.I just like to be able to move without a lot of obstructions I guesse, sometimes I can actually move to intercept deer I see coming or if the winds right I can fall in behind them and try for a shot.A lot of what I hunt is wide open corn and bean feilds with very little cover except occassional weed patches.

This fall I bought some grass matsat Walmart, reinforced it with some wire mesh and cut a viewing hole in it for these weed patches and such, its nice, wieghs only a couple lbs, blends in much better then a groudblind and lets you move to draw back out of sight.Ive had deer standing 7 or 8 ft from it and not even give it a second glance.Only problem is you have to shoot around the side of it cuz my holes not quite big enough to shoot through.Made it for my 11 yr old to gun hunt out of and havent been able to change it for bow hunting yet.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've actually been lucky enough to have taken several deer from the ground including 3 good bucks (1 buck at 130"). Justin and I started hunting together almost entirely from the ground for nearly 8 seasons. It wasn't til the previous 3 or 4 that we started taking to the trees. It is tough on the body, but I still love the up close and personal feel.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

I like hunting from any where as long as I get to hunt. I'll hunt from the ground if the signsare right and there isn't a place for my climber or tree stand. Actually I have done ok from both.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've taken 2 does in 2 years from the ground, it is fun and I think I'll keep trying it moer often. I'll never give up my view from a tree for good though.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:16 PM

I took a muley buck 2 years ago from the ground blind and this year i took my elk while kneeling inmy standing wheat crop. It was an experience i will never forget because I almost got trampled they came in so good. I am definately doing it again next year. It was way more of a rush for me than stand hunting, my hunting partner was beside me the whole time and he said the same thing.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

i love it personally
i was in Illinois and i couldnt get into one of there hang ons and didnt want to make to much noise so i climbed down and sat on the ground ahd a 7 point within a foot of me trying to smell me ( it made me a believer of scent killer that day) and i was trying to keep still but i just couldnt do it because it was so cold and to my surprise he didnt run away or blow but just backed up and walked away calmly and then was within 20 yards of a P&Y 10 point that was borderline and i passed due to it being the first day and the rain and i would ahve to say it was one of the most exciting hunts i have every been on