Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

not again

Old 12-02-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default not again

i can not believe it, after a pretty good bowseason i ended the year with a wounded doe...that i wounded even more. she was hit by a car and i made a bad shot on her.. ok no problem

gun season opens
no deer all week then finally a fat doe, quartering to, i aim for next to the front shoulder come to find out .. i some small bones and searched..no doe

ok i fixed my problem got heavier grained bullets, dropped the powder charge

i sold my compound so i pull out the old carp whacker its in good condition (damonhowatt hunter)
after shooting all day the thursday i felt confident in my shooting out to 20yds

sure as @#$$ a buck comes by i draw shoot whack... good line but in the neck i figured ok.. everyone says there deer died after a neck shot well i let it lay all night
searched for 3 hours no deer also.. no blood i looked at an anatmony there is only 2 places in the neck a deer will die from.. i made (ibelieve) inbetween those too

will he die eventually ya , he wont be eaten by me [:'(]
im not mad just like sad since it was what i waited for all season and it was with my bow non the less by the way it was a pretty decent 6pter
i will hunt there for the next few days becuase when we were going in we saw a deer by the cherry tree ..by where my stand is i did not get the full view but my dad saw antlers

ik ish happens but ...idk
Old 12-02-2006, 08:42 AM

Default RE: not again

oh man bad to hear that, great luck for the next time you hunt!
Old 12-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you didn't hit the artery, cut the windpipe or sever the spinal cord, that is nothing more than a flesh wound. Thank about your own neck, only 3 places that would kill you. That is why it is such a low percentage shot and should never be attempted intentionally.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:47 AM

Here are a couple of pics of a buck I have watched for months that I found where someone tried to poach it. This buck is illegal in the state of Arkansas, and was shot about the 23rd or 24th of Nov. I have pics of it still alive all the way up to the 29th. I have not checked the cameras since the 29th. BTW. I have this buck on 2 different cameras at my lease. I have called the state, and the Game Wardens are setting up to watch my lease for a while. This is the 2nd illegal buck I have found over the 7 days prior to the 29th.

But this shows that a buck can live with a neck shot. Also , this may be the result of a gun hunter.

God bless

Old 12-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

If you didn't hit the artery, cut the windpipe or sever the spinal cord, that is nothing more than a flesh wound. Thank about your own neck, only 3 places that would kill you. That is why it is such a low percentage shot and should never be attempted intentionally.
Careful here. You are about to open up a huge can of worms. I agree with you but many others do not.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

shot and should never be attempted intentionally.
[/quote]

Careful here. You are about to open up a huge can of worms. I agree with you but many others do not.
[/quote]

You areright aboutopening up acan of worms but Rob/Pa has a right to his opinion. I think if you have neverexperienced the neck shot first hand you have no ground to stand on. I have shot many deer in the neck,( with a gun of course),and every one of then have dropped in their tracks. I have shot many in the vitals as well only to have them run off, some quite a distance, others not very far.
I have never met a hunter yet that didn't make a good shot, according to them. No one makes that perfect or even near perfect shot all the time. Normallyyou do what works for you, or how you've been taught. Just because you were taught something doesn't mean it is the only way to do it, or even the correct way.
I reload my bullets and every gun I own groups where a dime can cover 3 shot groups from100 yards.I realizepaper shootingis not in the heat of the moment of the hunt where every thing is elevated and 100 times more exciting but it gives me the confidence to take neck shots. To me the best and most humane way to kill a deer is asquickly as possible. The neck shot does that for me. No suffering or follow up shots.
Just my 2 cents, doesn't make me right or wrong.