Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far away should you set up from rubs?

Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How far away should you set up from rubs?

I've tried to hunt rubs and never had any luck. I have hunted my stand one afternoon and seen no deer sign, and came back the next morning and had 3 rubs around me.

Only saw 1 buck during daylight from that stand it was 5 minutes before last shooting light. It also walked right by all of the rubs and never made an attempt to do anything with them.

I think you would have better luck finding a bedding area close to the sign, and setting up between it and a major food source.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did shoot a buck one time while it was making a rub, but I've never seen one re-visit a rub.

However, I don't see very many bucks anyway so what the heck do I know .
Old 12-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I've watched deer making rubs all the time. Like stated before it helps determing direction of travel on the trails. More important if it's a big tree and off the ground a little higher then normal, I get a woody knowing that I'm in the right spot for seeing a big/huge buck.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

im hunting in an area where theres 50 rubs withing 100 yards of each other, and about 20 scrpaes, and i havent seen one buck during the daytime, besides 3 bucks that were spooked and pushed my way once.
we hunt a different species of whitetail in NY... For example... In Illinios or Iowa if you rattle horns bucks tend to come check out the noise to possibly challenge a fight...

In NY if you rattle horns or blow on a grunt the deer run to the next county. Why???????? I have no idea.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

The only thing rubs tell you is that a deer was once there. There is no garauntee they will ever be there again. Rub lines are another thing though, they might show you a bucks occassional travel route. Sign posts are rubs that buck return to from time to time but it might be once in a month or weeks at a time.

I like Jeff, don't hunt rubs, rubs are just a good sign that a buck was at least in the area.
I'll agree with Rob's post for the most part. I've too seen some large rubs in the woods that I hunt, but have rarely setup in an area just because of a rub. Like everyone else has said, you never know when a buck might come back to a tree that is rubber, if they ever do.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't hunt rubs. You mention scrapes and rubs. I hope you mean two different things.[&:] As far as scrapes, I don't hunt those a lot either but rather travel routes and thickets near them. For example, the 8 point I shot in NY this year. I found a couple great scrapes, but the lay of the land and sign I found told me what area he was coming from and going to. Knowing the closest fields and feeding areas I set up a good 100 yards from the scrapes where I found a couple trails coming from a thicket that put the deer approaching from a downwind side about 75 yards away from the scrapes leading to them straight into the prevailing winds. Drilled him at the apex of his turn into the wind. It took one walk through to find the sign, used my climber a week later and got him first afternoon there. If I hunted near the scrapes I'd never have seen him.