Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

save a ton of cash for broadheads name brand too!!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default save a ton of cash for broadheads name brand too!!

Hey guys, Ive been doing something for the last three years that i thought was just common sense. My good freind who ive known for years also does this two towns over. I went into my local butcher and requested he saved any found broadheads. He was very reluctant at first but i told him id give him a couple bucks for each so he agreed.well this shop does about 3400 deer a season I'm told. and anyways i ended up with more than fifty. So i took these broadheads and soaked them in a five gallon bucket of wallpaper removal solvent. It worked great, all the guts and grime came right off with a little persuasion. So now over the years of aquired no less than 200 broad heads for about 80-100 bucks. thebroadheadsI usually use for coyotes or small game.

[hr]

Good luck and thankyou to all who don't remove their broadheads.
its also very dangerous for the men/women preparing your deer so be sure to let them know where its at
Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: save a ton of cash for broadheads name brand too!!

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I would never trust the integrity of a broadhead that was randomly found in a dead deer. Nor would I want to go into the woods carrying a bunch of different heads in my quiver, many of which I'm sure have different flight characteristics.

I tune my bow and my arrows to the specific head I'm shooting to insure optimal flight and performance out of every arrow, every shot. When it comes to cutting corners and saving a few bucks, I'm not going to do it at the expense of the most important piece of the puzzle when it comes to killing a deer with archery equipment.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Also......how in the world do you take a quartered deer to the butcher and not already find the broadhead? Are you saying that you take a WHOLE DEER to the processor? People do that?Are youserious??????

Save a ton of cash.....do most (if not all) of your own processing.

I also agree with what Justin said. It's called being ethical.

Jeff
Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I would never trust the integrity of a broadhead that was randomly found in a dead deer. Nor would I want to go into the woods carrying a bunch of different heads in my quiver, many of which I'm sure have different flight characteristics.

I tune my bow and my arrows to the specific head I'm shooting to insure optimal flight and performance out of every arrow, every shot. When it comes to cutting corners and saving a few bucks, I'm not going to do it at the expense of the most important piece of the puzzle when it comes to killing a deer with archery equipment.
Amen Justin
Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, I take 'em whole to my processor Jeff! [:-]

I just can't feasibly justify my time doing it all when my processor skins it for me, butterflies out all the best steaks and makes a bunch of hamburger meat (with tallow added) and vacuum seals it all for $65.

My processor knows me VERY well; in fact, I've got his home number and mobile number on speed dial. He'll come up and open up his shop if it's after hours and the temps are warm so that I can put my deer in his freezer.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

My guy charges $25 to vacuum seal it and package it any way I want. I have to take in the quarters/tenderloins/backstraps.

Takes me <1 hr to go from field-dressed to cooler.

I'm not sure what I'd do if they'd skin 'em and all???? I guess I figure that's part of the experience, though (and believe me I mean NOTHING derogatory towards those who don't take part in that aspect.....I MEAN it). Interesting. No one around here (that I know of) does that.

jeff
Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I apologize for another lack of communication in another post.
i Process all of my entire deer myself. I used to work for the shop i get my broadheads from! I also have at least 12 matching heads from the butcher that are darn near mint.
i also buy my favorite brand of broadheads strictly for deer. I usually kill skin and tan 10 15 coyote a summer so now i don't have to buy more than i'd already have to for deer!
i only use these broadheads for cyote an small game.

[hr]

so its just nice to get a set of muzzys or raptors for a couple dollars
take it or leave it
Old 12-01-2006, 10:10 AM

I think that is a great idea imo. In my neck of the woods deer go to the processor whole more time than not. Personally I do all my own skinning deboning, butchering nd sealing my self. It is a usually a Sunday morning kinda thing with my Pops.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take them whole to the processor if I don't have the time to do it myself!
ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Also......how in the world do you take a quartered deer to the butcher and not already find the broadhead? Are you saying that you take a WHOLE DEER to the processor? People do that? Are you serious??????

Save a ton of cash.....do most (if not all) of your own processing.

I also agree with what Justin said. It's called being ethical.

Jeff
Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've "taken part in that experience" plenty ... early on. Before I found out that I could have it all done for $65...

I fondly recall picking up a just-ran-over fawn I came across on the way back from a morning hunt once a few years ago... I mean, the blood was still trickling out of its nose. As I was never able to bring myself to shoot one that small (it HAD lost its spots, but that's about it...) but I always wanted to see how tender they'd be, I stopped and threw him over the side of the pickup bed.

I was thinking I could have him processed in just a few minutes... It seemed like it took me every bit as long to get him done as it would have a full-size deer; I had to make every cut I would have otherwise had to, just on a smaller scale...

Nope. Processor all the way for me these days baby!

Quick Reply: save a ton of cash for broadheads name brand too!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.