Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

save a ton of cash for broadheads name brand too!!

Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: save a ton of cash for broadheads name brand too!!

ORIGINAL: whitetailsoldier

Hey guys, Ive been doing something for the last three years that i thought was just common sense. My good freind who ive known for years also does this two towns over. I went into my local butcher and requested he saved any found broadheads. He was very reluctant at first but i told him id give him a couple bucks for each so he agreed.well this shop does about 3400 deer a season I'm told. and anyways i ended up with more than fifty. So i took these broadheads and soaked them in a five gallon bucket of wallpaper removal solvent. It worked great, all the guts and grime came right off with a little persuasion. So now over the years of aquired no less than 200 broad heads for about 80-100 bucks. thebroadheadsI usually use for coyotes or small game.

[hr]

Good luck and thankyou to all who don't remove their broadheads.
its also very dangerous for the men/women preparing your deer so be sure to let them know where its at
Thanks
As long as you never use them on deer without changing the blades.

Not to hijack this thread but I process my deer right down to freezer bags. When the seasons are over I take my bags of meat to my butcher and he makes me some incredible bologna consisting of my very clean venison., I'm very particular....it's so good....ain't it Jeff.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wait'll you try the cheese-infused brats I get made for me! Maybe I'll bring some in '09...
Old 12-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Off the main subject but to continue what is said about processing, I neither have the time, experience, proper equipment, or workable space to do my own processing. My processor also skins them with no extra charge to me. Tenderizing, skinning, wrapping all for $58. Although slim jims, sausage, bacon, smoked ham, etc. cost extra. And yeah........the deer is brought in whole too.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 AM

My processor charges 73.00 to go from whole to wrapped. That is for the meat how you want, ie... steak, roast, deer burger...etc. Sausage, or other speciality meat is an added charge. And gut shot is 10.00 extra .

Man, we need another processor here.

God bless

Old 12-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailsoldier

I apologize for another lack of communication in another post.
i Process all of my entire deer myself. I used to work for the shop i get my broadheads from! I also have at least 12 matching heads from the butcher that are darn near mint.
i also buy my favorite brand of broadheads strictly for deer. I usually kill skin and tan 10 15 coyote a summer so now i don't have to buy more than i'd already have to for deer!
i only use these broadheads for cyote an small game.

[hr]

so its just nice to get a set of muzzys or raptors for a couple dollars
take it or leave it
How many coyotes do you kill in a summer? Man I need you in my area! Want some free coyote hunts?

Tom
Old 12-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Re: Toms post

I live in mchenry County il.
Coyotes are running rammpint throughout my county.
The basis for my hunting coyoteis mostly land management.
I do try to use all thatI can from the animals.
coyotes hand in handwith deer should be maintained.
WhenI started hunting the landI hunt now it was teaming with coyote.
nowI rarely see them during th day and the problems with Garbage, Domestic animals, and disease will always exist,butI feel as if I'm doing my part.
{Litterally}When i moved here it was hard to sleep. If you are familiar with the sounds and cackels of a coyote pack you know whatI mean. Its almost like children screaming and crying in the night.
[hr]

My point in THIS whole post is coyotes are like mosquitos. God created them for a reason, But its also up to us to take care of Gods creatures not letting the balance become to lop-sided. Mosquitos have there part in this world just like coyotes. Lets manage them and not let them over-populate, and lets not try to wipe them out

Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know... I'm still trying to figure out God's plan with the mosquito thing... Flies eat garbage... What good is a mosquito?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

You know... I'm still trying to figure out God's plan with the mosquito thing... Flies eat garbage... What good is a mosquito?
Early season, I's hates mosquitos. Can I use some of those broadheads on those little blood suckers? And what was the plan, oh I remember, pestilence (sp?).