Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many people shoot back tension??

Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many people shoot back tension??

Over the past five or six years in my winter archery league, I have noticed more and more people shooting back tension. These people are also the ones who consistantly shoot 298-300's. I have seen some of the guys take off months of shooting league to get used to shooting back tension, and I have seen others pick it up and shoot good right away. Most of the guys also switch to a trigger release when hunting.

So what is the advantage of back tension? How exactly does it work? How many hunt with it? Did it dramatically improve your score/shooting? Does it cure minor target panic? What type/brand of release do you shoot and do you like it?

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: How many people shoot back tension??

I shoot with back tensionfor all target shooting.I have been doing so since 1994. I use Stan 2-finger and Carter releases. I would use it for hunting, but my hunting release will not allow for it. (winn Freeflight) I'm at work, so I don't have time to explain it right now. When I get home I'll see if you still need an explanation. I explained this in good detail a while back (people pm'd me and told me I did). But I don't know how to look it up.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:44 PM

I've messed around w/ it and have made it priority #1 when season closes. By the HNI smackdown I'll be shooting w/ backtension..that's the goal anyway.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many people shoot back tension??

I do, all the time.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried and I'm going back to finger. I can't seem to keep my accuracy using back tension. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what it is. I also think my release needs to the swapped out.

I'm thinking of trying out a thumb release this summer. The cost is the only factor slowing me from that route.

Tom
Old 12-01-2006, 02:13 PM

I use a back tension release for all of my target shooting. I would suggest that you find someone who is very proficient or go to a shooting school to learn back tension if you are interested. I went to the shooting school and it helped me out tremendously. My scores went way up to 300's and above with the right technique and practice.

To help with part of your other questions. Back tension is just that, you use the muscles in your back to execute your shoot. Using back tension the right way allows you to just concentrate on aimimg while you subconciously execute your shoot ultimately creating a "surprise" shot. Accuracy in turn increases because of your dedication to the aiming and not the control of the release aid. Many people have trouble with back tension because they want to punch or force the release to go off which causes a level of inaccuracy.

I hope that helps you some as many others may be able to give you a more detailed account. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

I am considering trying a thumb release this summer as well and wondering if anyone uses one for hunting.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM

Where would I find one of these shooting schools?

Old 12-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes
Old 12-01-2006, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Where would I find one of these shooting schools?
You would need to search around your area to see if any shop or anyone offers a school. I went to the shooting that was taught by Larry Wise at Lancaster Archery Supply in PA. Do a search and see what you can come up with.

Quick Reply: How many people shoot back tension??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.