Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back in the day

Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Back in the day

Back in the day the only camo was army surplus "tiger stripes",
there were no wheels and pulleys on bows, and you tied your deer onto the fender of your car when you brought it home!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Back in the day:
when all limbs were solid glass or wood laminated.
Never heard of "carbon" or graphite.
Almost everyone used a berger button.
Only about 3 choices of treestands that I know of...........Baker, Loc On, and homemade.
Broadheads ruling the roost were: Bear, Zwickey, Savora, Wasp
One deer permit is all you were allowed.
Hardly ever seen another bowhunter
NEVER saw an ATV
Bear, PSE, Jennings and Martin ruled

Old 12-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wool bibs and jacket, pack boots and horse back trips into the wilderness,no 4 wheelers, treestands made from left over mill scraps and an elk bugle looked like a whistle and we never took any pictures, hunted to fill the freezer.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM
Site Buck Guru

When my hand warmer was the size of a small book and had to be filled with lighter fluid. No scent there. My stand was a small folding stool with a cloth seat about 15" high.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scent control was unthought of...
The wheels on my Bear Blacktail Hunter were held to the glass limbs with big metal brackets and were made of plastic...
I had never hear of a treestandlet alone thought of hunting from 20' above the ground.....
Finding a deer trail was a big deal and seeing 1-2 deer a year was a good year!....
You would've of never entertained the thought of dragging $1000.00-$2000.00 worth of equipment into the woods.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Back in the day

All my hair follicles function, nowI amhaving massive failures, LOL
Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Callouses on 3 fingers
Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Back in the day where my dad would set my stand and pick my hunting spot and lead me to the stand in the morning and not walk away until I got the seat belt from an old buick snapped. That was my fall protection. 8ft was plenty high, so my dad told me. Can't remember seeing any deer. The frst animal I saw bow hunting was a bear.

Now it is the other way around. Except the old car seat belt to keep me in the stand, we have graduated past that. When did I become my parents keeper. I wouldn't trade it though
Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

TNN was the only channel that had hunting shows, and Buckmasters ruled the roost.
Alberta was "THE" place to go for monster bucks. Nobody even though about IL, IA, or KS
Stabilizers were nothing more than a dead weight on the front of your bow
Most archers still shot fingers with a glove or tab
Cables were actually cables and had teardrops at the end of them. You could replace your string without ever having to put your bow in a press
Oneida Eagle was the "hot" new bow
Bob Foulkrod, Myles Keller, DickIdol,and Noel Feather were the master bowhunters
Gander Mountain still had a mail-order catalog
Brass sight pins were painted with white or flourescent colors so you could see them in low light
Old 12-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Hey, did you hear about that guy up the road? He's got some kind of mechanical release." "What the heck is that all about - do you really think that would work better than your fingers?? Nah."

or

"I think next year, I'm gonna get one of those PEEP SIGHTS put on here." "There were a couple of guys at the archery shop that had 'em, and I think it might be the ticket."

or

"TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for a BOW?! Are you CRAZY?!!!"

Remember making that yearly trek to the local barn and buying two fresh haybales for a bow target? There was no McKenzie. No Block. No bag. Just hay and miner's belt.

"You mean to tell me that they sell a treestand that climbs the tree?? Rrrrright. Is it like motorized or something?"

I remember hunting all season before/after school to maybe see one buck all year, and getting one, even if it was a unicorn fawn spike, made you feel like you were the next Chuck Adams.

Big D-Cell plastic flashlights that were so stinkin' dim you were lucky to find your treestand.

I actually think I liked it better then - no pressure, no competition with other hunters, no other cars at the parking lot. More peaceful.

Quick Reply: Back in the day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.