Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good question

Old 11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default good question

[:-] how come when a deer is shot by a rifle it dies so much quicker than an arrow. i know it tears up the muscle on the exit side of the deer. but how does it kill it so fast it does the same stuff as an arrow.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question

To steal a phrase from ol' GW... Shock and awe, baby!

Seriously, the trauma and shock help tremendously. An arrow-killed deer usually dies of asphyxiation or blood loss. (loss of air, or loss of blood... take your pic, either one will take just a few seconds at least. A deer can run quite a ways in that time.)
Old 11-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

well damn im shooting 62 pounds and i shoot my deer and they are up for atleast as far as i can see them usually and i am getting the shot
Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless the bullet hits the spine mine die faster with my bow. I have killed 2 deer with my bow this year. The first went 45 yds and the second went about 50 yds. You just have to wait for the right shot and put the arrow where it counts.

Most of my gun kills traveled farther than that.

But bullets and arrows do not kill the same way. Bullets kill by shock and tissue damage. Broadheads kill by blood loss or drowning in its own blood.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: good question

ORIGINAL: childers

[:-] how come when a deer is shot by a rifle it dies so much quicker than an arrow. i know it tears up the muscle on the exit side of the deer. but how does it kill it so fast it does the same stuff as an arrow.
I don't necessarily believe this however,

And Greg, here's a word for ya buddy, hemoraging.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Were you meaning "hemorrhaging"?

(Don't mess with former editors and college English instructors!) [8D]

Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

absolutely, that's what I said....lol damn site doesn't have spell checker.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 12-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bullets kill from releasing the bullet energy into the deer, basically a huge shockwave that destroys what it touches. that's why bullet choice is a big factor. ideally you don't want the bullet to pass through, you want it to release ALL its energy inside the deer.

Arrows you want to pass through, they kill by loss of blood or loss of oxygen to the brain (ain't trying to spell them words with the editors around [8D]). An arrow shot deer may not run as far because he really doesn't know what just happened, a quiet bow and a sharp BH and the arrow may pass right through without him knowing what happened.

A bullet shot deer MIGHT run if he's able, and due to the very LOUD noise he just herd and the SMACK in the ribs he just took, he probably wants to get somewhere else fast.

I have shot more deer with my bow than gun (though not big totals on either), furthest gun shot deer went about 30 yds, stopped and fell over. Furthest bow shot deer went several hundred yds, but that wasa liver hit. Double lungers are usually down inside 50-75 yds.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert on the physiology of what happens between bullets and arrows but it sure seems to me that a bullet simply does a heck of a lot more damage as it tears through the animal. Just look at the bruising around both the entrance and exit holes of bullets/slugs vs an arrow. No comparison. The other thing to think about is the hydrolic shock that pretty much bursts tissues in a large area in the blood rich lungs. Anyway for whatever the reason it sure seems to be the case. My experience has been that a hit a littleon the high side on the shoulder almost always will drop a deer in its tracks with either a rifle or a shot gun slug. The only time I have ever seen a deer drop instantly with an arrow is a spine hit. Of course their not dead but just paralized. An arrow properly placed in the boiler room though results in a downed animal pretty quickly. I've had many down and out without a twitch in less than 30 seconds. They may go up to 50 yards but it's all over pretty quickly.

In short I'd say that given the same path through the animal, the bullet is just going to do a lot more damage and it only makes sense that the more damage done the quicker it will die.

Quick Reply: good question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.