Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you still hunt with guns

Old 12-01-2006, 04:14 PM

Default RE: Do you still hunt with guns

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Passive hunting (which is what most of you are doing) is "easy" by nature, when compared to "active" hunting. Sure passive hunting would be easier to succeed with a gun than with a bow, but from my experience, active hunting with a gun, is much more challenging.

Someone please explain to me how sitting in a tree stand, shooting at the same distance with a bow, which is a consistent shooter, is more challenging? And I didn't say that it wasn't challenging, tell me how it is MORE of a challenge?
It is more of a challenge thanactive hunting with a long range high powered rifle to be exact. I've gun hunted for 15 yearsand pretty much every yearI go out, I get at least one deer. Yes, even when I'm carelessly parading up and down the hills.

Here's a generic typical scenario: I'm happily parading along not really giving due attention to all of the horizon when 200 yards away I see a herd of deer that some other gun hunterflushed in my direction. Those deer that are scared out of their wits from some3006 blasting at them 2 minutes ago are now confronted with another upright creature carrying a similar weapon. They all freeze at firstthen scurry about looking for an escape route. They don't want to turn back in the direction of the 3006 but also don't want to press forward because of my 270. In the 3 seconds that have transpired since, I've already steadiedthe crosshairs of my 12 power scopeon the big mama doe, when all of a sudden BOOOOOM. Game Over! In fact, there have been several occasions where I've downed more than one deer and once even where I took out 4 in a matter of seconds.

Whereas with bowhunting... I have to prescout and haul my arse as well as myequipment up and down the hills (mountains in other people's cases)locating where the deer are. Imust thenfind several trees in which to hunt from becauseI cannot just hop in the same tree time after time. I have to trim numerous shooting lanes.Before the day of the hunt I must be certain my entire attire, my bow, my stand,my calls, etc.,are as scent free as possible. Getting tomy tree, I must beexceptionally quiet. Upon arrival, I have to anticipate the direction of deer movement and properly match it to the current wind at the same time gauging that with whatthe weatherman says will happen in X number of hours just so I can pick the best tree. If I leave the slightest scent trail thathappens to later cross a deer's path, it's game over, not for the deer but for me. If I sit inwhat I think is the right tree and a deer happens to come in from an unsuspected direction and catches my scent, game over. Ifthe deer do not come within my 30 yard range, game over. If they come in and I happen to break a tiny bit of the tree'sbark that clung onto mysuit as I leaned forward to get up, game over. If I move or draw at a less than perfect time, wellknow what I'm gonna say next.And all of this preparation could and most timeswill befor nothing because the deer either took another route that day or some other hunter or hiker snowmobiler or dog walkerscared them off before they got to me.

So, before you use terms like "easy" and "not challenging" when speaking about gun hunting, ask yourself what kind of hunting you're talking about.
And that, is a two way street.Active hunting with a long range rifle is much easier than passive bowhunting as by my example above. Active huntingwith ashotgun islikelyharder than passive bowhunting but only in the sense of the actualstalking or shotitself, not in the sense of preparation. This of course is only the case when the forest is quiet and not overrun with gun touting hunters who are are just kicking up deer everywhere for people to shoot at. In that situation,active shotgun huntingbecomes easier than passive bowhunting.

Somewhere on the forums there is aguy who stalks down big bucks and shoots them in their bedsthat's thinking... man you guys don't know the meaning of difficult. LOL

Old 12-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think I could live in a place like that ArthurP.

Why don't you move?
Old 12-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just so you know, I don't feel I've given it my all unless I do all the things you mentioned above as far as prep, except for the stands, since I use permanent ones, no matter what I'm carrying. Sure, you are a 100% correct, that is, if you read a different post.

If you go back and read, you'll recognize that I acknowledged bow hunting being more difficult whether it be used in passive or in active hunting. So next time untwist you panties and read it again, then post.

The problem I have is with the "passive" bow hunter only type, talking about how gun hunting is too easy, just not a challenge, no, not anymore, that is the question, to passive bow hunt only, or to, well, passive bow hunt only, since we all know it is the only way that requires any skill! NOT!

And you mention scent control as something you have to do when bow hunting - try staying on the ground with a stinky gun. Now we're talking playing the wind. Click on my name above and read some of my post on similar subjects and read how I hunt. Most of the time I stalk hunt with a young child, up close in the thick stuff. By the way, don't forget I do both too... I've taken some nice deer with a bow.

And the best or most ridiculous thing you said was "I have to be quiet getting to my stand"! Wow! You have to be quiet ten min. a day? You don't understand at all, it is pretty obvious to me. How about trying to be quiet while walking all day.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think I could live in a place like that ArthurP.

Why don't you move?
I did.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then maybe now it's time to treat yourself to a fine new weapon.

One that will probably not get stolen!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: KCMO Cityboy

NO, unless it has wings.
Same same. I do OCCASIONALLY take my smokepole, but not very often.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shotgun hunt, just because we can't use our bows during the shotgun season and it's better than sitting around the house.

Also alot more people shotgun hunt, so for a few days out of the year it's not to bad sharing the camp with some good friends.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I'm going to try not to get confrontational this time,
but then you go and talk about twisted panties and how people (I in specific) obviously don't understand at all? Sure sounds like friendly fire to me. Hey butall is good, I'm not mad atcha or "twisted" up'cause in the end we're all brothers in arms for the same basic passion.

[/quote]ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

Sure, you are a 100% correct, that is, if you read a different post.
See, but I didn't read a different post because you wrote

Sure passive hunting would be easier to succeed with a gun than with a bow, but from my experience, active hunting with a gun, is much more challenging. In all aspects, whether it be mentally, physically or both.
If you go back and read, you'll recognize that I acknowledged bow hunting being more difficult whether it be used in passive or in active hunting.
I did upon first read but then you had to go and write what I quoted in the large print above which is NOT true unless in the single situation of active shotgun hunting while in the woods all by yourself. Tell me this... If gun touters are running rampant about the forest kicking up deer and one happens to run by you and you shoot it at 40 yards with a 12 gauge, is that really harder than passive bowhunting? I think not.

And you mention scent control as something you have to do when bow hunting - try staying on the ground with a stinky gun. Now we're talking playing the wind.
tell you the truth, I've never even thought about playing the wind when I can reach 250-300 yards reliably with my 270 and there are those other hundred hunters in the woods kicking up deer for me to shoot at.

Themain thing I'm debating here is what's in large print above. There's no grey area, its all black and white, and I don't agree with it.(pay attention to the actives and passives here)... I believe that active long range gun hunting ismuch easier than passive bowhunting for reasons beaten to death.

happy hunting to all,

20ft

Old 12-01-2006, 06:18 PM

I like challenges. I hunt with bow and muzzleloader and won't hunt with rifle or shotgun.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

I like challenges. I hunt with bow and muzzleloader and won't hunt with rifle or shotgun.
Please correct me if I am wrong, as I have no hands on experience with muzzleloaders, but 2 of the guys that hunt with us use muzzleloaders.

They both can pick a deer off farther with great accuracythan any of us with our 12 gauges. Again I have never used one before so I could be completly wrong.

Quick Reply: Do you still hunt with guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.