Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you still hunt with guns

Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you still hunt with guns

If the theiving SOB's had left me with any guns, I'd still be hunting with guns and bows, especially traditional style muzzleloaders. I never replaced them because I didn't feel like providing burglars with even more guns.[>:]
Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, I don'tbig gamehunt with a gun or rifle. I do bowhunt during gun season though with friends who use guns.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:38 AM

Killer Primate,

I don't agree with you about passive hunting with a bow being easy. Hunting with a bow is challenging to me because it is close range game where a lot can go wrong prior to ever releasing an arrow. Just finding the right spot can be a huge challenge at times. Sometimes it works out perfect and seems easy, but more often than not guys end up spending an incredible amount of hours on stand before they kill a buck. Maybe you are just an exceptional hunter and finding good stand sites is easy for you. IMO, most guys won't share your view on bow versus gun hunting if they have done both for any length of time. Some successful gun huntersgo years without taking a deeronce they take up the bow.

With all that said, I have no problem hunting with a gun, just as I said in a previous post in this thread. Some of my best hunts have been active gun hunts, so I know what you mean. They are by no means a walk in the park as some here would have you believe. There is a bit of eliteist attitude that gets conveyed here at times when topics like this come up, but IMO most hunters these days are multi season multi weapon hunters. There is my nickels worth.

Good hunting to you.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:39 AM

I have only hunted with a gun. I just bought a crossbow, and I haven't got anything yet. [:@]But, I'm excited to learn more about bows, and I hope I like it just as much.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

NO, unless it has wings. [/blockquote]

I concur. It just doesn't interest me.

Jeff
Next year, I have a pheasant hunt scheduled. Looking forward to it. Yes, with my longbow. Others will have guns but they will allow me first shot at the birds (well at least till I get one). Currently, I'm in the process of making a catapult (throwing one gallon jugs) for practice.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife's uncle used to hunt pheasant with a bow. I think it was a recurve, but could be wrong. He was a great shot. I comend your efforts. The biggest problem for him was his dog. It was so dang fast often times he couldn't shoot because his dog was chasing the bird too close, and would sometimes get one!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

[blockquote]quote:

NO, unless it has wings. [/blockquote]

I concur. It just doesn't interest me.

Jeff
Next year, I have a pheasant hunt scheduled. Looking forward to it. Yes, with my longbow. Others will have guns but they will allow me first shot at the birds (well at least till I get one). Currently, I'm in the process of making a catapult (throwing one gallon jugs) for practice.
That sounds like a neat weapon (catapult) good luck with it!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

If the theiving SOB's had left me with any guns, I'd still be hunting with guns and bows, especially traditional style muzzleloaders. I never replaced them because I didn't feel like providing burglars with even more guns.[>:]
Two words: Gun Safe
Old 12-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds like a neat weapon (catapult) good luck with it!
LOL, I'll probably end up shooting myself with it.

Check this out.

http://www.cdi3d.com/bow/jugshooter.mpg

I comend your efforts.
I think you mean fun instead of effort!!!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

If that catapult doesn't help your aim, just put some cats in that contraption and I bet they can swat down a few pheasants for you.

Quick Reply: Do you still hunt with guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.