Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you still hunt with guns

Old 11-30-2006, 08:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you still hunt with guns

NO!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

yea but only with my muzzleloader normaly its to maximize my deer to give to the food bank and to thin the overcrowding on our farms
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 PM

Well, I used to do it all. I would start the season out bowhunting. Then muzzleloading would come in; followed by rifle season.

Last year, I bowhunted all bow season and through muzzleloading. However, I still took out the 30-30 and got a wallhanger (w/in bow range) with my rifle.

This year I bowhunted on up until rifle season. Even took the bow out the first day of rifle. I've had the gun out about 3 times this year since I change locations sometimesand hunt with my dad.

I'm definitely using my bow more and more each year.

BTW: All the deer I have killed with a rifle have been on the ground and w/in bow range. So that is why I decided to mainly just hunt w/ a bow during gun season. Why not???
Old 11-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes but I've taken to hunting with handguns. It throws a lot more challenge into it and is probably the only reason I head out with a gun at all.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

Ryan that is the next thing I want to try to. A friend of mine is getting me interested in it.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Site Buck Guru

First of all, gun hunting is tradition for me. I use rifle, shotgun and pistol. I mainly go to be with family and friends. It is also my main way of taking does. When I'm bowhunting, its just me, I'm a hermit!
Old 12-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've said it before, but when you see an animal with a gun, the hunt's over. When you see it with a bow, it's just starting.
That's an awesome quote.

I hardly gun hunt. Here and there just to be social with family and friends. Other than that I'm toting my bow . I dont' like things that go bang.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:47 AM

Elsewhere on the forum I wrote:

ORIGINAL: 20 FT up 20 yds out

I said it to myself that I'd never disrespect any monster buck by "point and clicking" it to death. Thus the reason I won't gun hunt anymore. I don't want to be in the tempting position where I'd have to hold myself to my own word. Strictly bowhunting for me.

Beautiful buck... would've been absolutely gorgeous with a bow though.

But of course to each his own. This is just a personal standard I set for myself. It's not intended to knock anyone else's passions. Way I see it,I workmy butt off to buy all this equipment waiting for a chance to get outin the woods after arranging childcare and clearing schedules with the wife, all the while hoping theweather cooperates,I want the most out of my hunt. And I aint gettin the most out of it unless I get out my bow, even during the gun season.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 AM

Only on private land, and only if I haven't filled my freezer by the last week of deer season. I don't have anything against gunhunting, but when I arrow a deer, I still get those "adrenaline shivers" right after...I don't get that with a gun!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here we go again...

I'm going to try not to get confrontational this time, but, I can't take the narrowed view of some bow hunters who make statements like "gun hunting just isn't a challenge anymore" or "with a gun it is just shooting", "with a gun it is just killing" and so on.

If you are one of the people making these statements, it is my OPINION that you are not a very creative hunter. If your only method is to be in a stand trail watching, then yes, if you see the deer before it is spooked and you are going to take it. The hunt is pretty much over unless something goes wrong when you are carrying a gun.

But, if you really wanted to be "challenged" (which is a word I keep hearing), and really put your hunting skills to the test, you should try "active hunting" in stead of "passive hunting". That is the difference that I associate to gun hunting. Sitting in a stand is hunting like a passive spider, the black widow for example. Once the quarry has entered the web the surprise attack takes place. Active hunting, would be to pursue your quarry with no web, like the brown recluse spider. You take your most educated guess as to where your quarry may be, and you go get it. Like I've explained many times before (and will spare you guys with it this time, since the last time I was actually asked to "enlighten" and then told "uninterested")
My first ever bow kill was last year, and I was unimpressed to say the least. It was one of the easiest kills I've ever experienced. I do understand how tough it can be, and have been skunked, busted and so on.But I killed an eight point buck, on the first day, at first light, shooting a borrowed left handed bow, right handed. Since that time I've killed a number of deer this way, and Passive hunting (which is what most of you are doing) is "easy" by nature, when compared to "active" hunting. Sure passive hunting would be easier to succeed with a gun than with a bow, but from my experience, active hunting with a gun, is much more challenging. In all aspects, whether it be mentally, physically or both. That said, active hunting would also be much more challenging with a bow, but in most cases, it would be impossible.

When you stalk hunt a deer, you are usually going to its bed. The bedding areas are so thick you can not see into them very well and must get really close in. Like within bow range, but walking on the ground. Now your scent is on the ground and walking up to them, and oh yeah, don't forget to be quiet and still.
Someone please explain to me how sitting in a tree stand, shooting at the same distance with a bow, which is a consistent shooter, is more challenging? And I didn't say that it wasn't challenging, tell me how it is MORE of a challenge?
I am totally aware that hunting with a gun just may not be appealing to some. And I'm not going to try to talk you into it. But at the same time, I'm not going to sit back and listen to inaccurate statements. So, before you use terms like "easy" and "not challenging" when speaking about gun hunting, ask yourself what kind of hunting you're talking about.

Quick Reply: Do you still hunt with guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.