Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you still hunt with guns

Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you still hunt with guns

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I've said it before, but when you see an animal with a gun, the hunt's over. When you see it with a bow, it's just starting.
[/blockquote]

Where did you get that? That is the exact statement that was told to me on my elk hunt in 97.

I was in town after shooting my bull. A guy approached me and said are up bowhunting elk? I thought, oh here we go....I said yes, prepared and he said, I envy you guys. I asked why. He said and I quote, "I'm a rifle hunter, when I see an animal, I shoot, the hunts over, when you see an animal, your hunt begins." end quote.....
Rob, I'm gathering such a following in the world of hunting that I never know where my quotes will end up or who will hear them from someone else...

[8D]

Yeah, right.
LOL Greg, And I figured since 97' I had to put that on these boards somewhere. Regardless, it's perfect, carry on.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Last year I shot my first with a bow and I hadn't shot another deer until opening weekend of gun this year and I shot 2 with a gun. It was a nice break to sit in a stand and shoot and have some venison but itjust wasn't near as fun and exciting as calling in the 6 pt last year and shooting him broadside at 10 yards with a bow. I can tell I'm changing. This is the first year I didn't even buy a buck tag for gun. Still working on getting him with a bow instead.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Yup, I still hunt w/ a shotgun. It is a smoothbore, so shots are 50 yds or less.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Banned

Big game, no. Bow only; no challenge with a gun for me.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

The only thing(s) I hunt with guns anymore are feathered animals and varmits.

Big game with firearms won't happen again until my next lifetime, and I doubt it even then.
I concur.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:59 PM

It doesnt matter what i hunt with i just love to do it, heck i even enjoy shootin the ole BB gun with my little cousin.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:00 PM

Thinking about it, one way to sum up howI feel about it is this;

My passion for archery/bowhunting far exceeds my passion for taking/killing/harvesting game.

If it were soley about the killing, I would go back to hunting with firearms.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Dan I agree that its no where near the same experience but you can still have fun with a gun or with gun hunters. I took a friend of mine on his first hunt during gun. I know the heart of what you are saying...I would rather hunt with a bow anyday but a gun hunt can still be a lot of fun. It just depends on the set up and who you are with. I love the fact though that its in your veins now...I totally understand. There is nothing like it.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ten point with Accu Draw is best Dan IMO, what I bought gramps.

I go and sit next to Gramps, we do not shoot anything anymore, we just watch the sunset
Some of the older people in rifle camp are why I go. Below is a pic of APAJaws (Dan's) grandfather. He is 86 and shot this deer 2 weeks ago because us youngins can help him get out there. 3 days before that his buddy Ernie (89 years old) shot a nice fat 5 point. This is why I hunt with a rifle.........as I said before it's the people and times w/ friends and family.

I hope when I am 86, a I still get to go out even if I can't pull the bow back. If a rifle gets me out there, so be it.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rick, that would be an extremely worthy reason for toting a gun around... I would agree whole-heartedly for that cause.

'Course, I'd check the state regs first and see if I could just bowhunt during gun season with all the others; that's what I do in Missouri and Illinois. In fact, I'll be bowhunting tomorrow night during shotgun season in Illinois.

Again, very good reason.

Quick Reply: Do you still hunt with guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.