Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you still hunt with guns

Old 11-30-2006, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Do you still hunt with guns

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I have always and will always hunt with a gun. I should clarify that 200-300 yard "shooting" type of hunting doesn't interest me at all. I think every deer but 1 or 2 I have gotten with my gun were within bow range. My longest kill was 65 yards. I shoot a smooth bore short barrel Rem870 with Breneke MP slugs. DEFINATELY not the most accurate thing out there........so it is still a respectable chalenge IMO. Most of my early kills were off the ground with open sights...........maybe harder then killing a deer from a stand with a bow IMO.

Gun season has a TOTALLY different feel to it.........and I love that too.

Perhaps most importantly is the fact that my father gave up archery after a few years of recurves and then one of the first BEAR compounds. Gun season is all he has hunted for years now and there is no way on earth I am gonna miss a chance to go hunt with my dad.
Atlas, thats probably why I'm as passionate about archery as I am.

I grew up watching my dad shoot his bow, hunt with his bow, and come with animals he killed with his bow. When he decided to get me into hunting, I couldn't yet draw a legal weight, so he gave up archery for the first few years and we hunted with rifles.

As soon as I was able to draw a legal bow, he went out and bought us both brand new bows, and we haven't looked back since.

I know that when he is no longer able to draw a legal compound, he'll get a disabled/senior permit and shoot a cross bow. Any ideaabout who's going to buy it for him?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been doing both for about 30 years,Ive got 2 sons who also love to hunt.This year they saw the ugly side of gun hunting.Drunks in the woods with guns,I wont even call them hunters.They gang up in 30-40 man bunches and push everything in sight.Public land -posted land-everything.At the end of the day there are wounded deer in the woods,bambies on every tailgate,and a couple big bucks.That is no way to treat something like a deer(mabe a coyote).It just seems unfitting.Id figure the ratio of shots fired to deer harvested is about 10-1. Im sure alot of folks here dont agree with me,But im done with the gun thing.Ill wait till the woods are quiet again and go after them with a bow,when there not running for 9 days without a break.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I have always and will always hunt with a gun. I should clarify that 200-300 yard "shooting" type of hunting doesn't interest me at all. I think every deer but 1 or 2 I have gotten with my gun were within bow range. My longest kill was 65 yards. I shoot a smooth bore short barrel Rem870 with Breneke MP slugs. DEFINATELY not the most accurate thing out there........so it is still a respectable chalenge IMO. Most of my early kills were off the ground with open sights...........maybe harder then killing a deer from a stand with a bow IMO.

Perhaps most importantly is the fact that my father gave up archery after a few years of recurves and then one of the first BEAR compounds. Gun season is all he has hunted for years now and there is no way on earth I am gonna miss a chance to go hunt with my dad.

I grew up watching my dad shoot his bow, hunt with his bow, and come with animals he killed with his bow. When he decided to get me into hunting, I couldn't yet draw a legal weight, so he gave up archery for the first few years and we hunted with rifles.

As soon as I was able to draw a legal bow, he went out and bought us both brand new bows, and we haven't looked back since.

I know that when he is no longer able to draw a legal compound, he'll get a disabled/senior permit and shoot a cross bow. Any ideaabout who's going to buy it for him?
Ten point with Accu Draw is best Dan IMO, what I bought gramps.

I go and sit next to Gramps, we do not shoot anything anymore, we just watch the sunset
Old 11-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

sure i do muzzle as well . I enjoy both
Old 11-30-2006, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Ten point with Accu Draw is best Dan IMO, what I bought gramps.

I go and sit next to Gramps, we do not shoot anything anymore, we just watch the sunset
He's still got another 15 years before I need to worry about it Germ, as longas his shoulder holds up.

Spending time in the woods with loved ones is more important than shooting animals sometimes. It's nice to hear you still get out there with him.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Site Buck Guru

Of course I hunt with guns, I prefer to use my AK-47,double-barrelled, laser guided, heat seeking shotgun! ANYTHING TO MAKE IT EASIER![:-]
Old 11-30-2006, 05:18 PM

You go Atlas, umm rrrrr Greg.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy all the seasons. Bowhunting is the most thrilling, though.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I've said it before, but when you see an animal with a gun, the hunt's over. When you see it with a bow, it's just starting.
[/blockquote]

Where did you get that? That is the exact statement that was told to me on my elk hunt in 97.

I was in town after shooting my bull. A guy approached me and said are up bowhunting elk? I thought, oh here we go....I said yes, prepared and he said, I envy you guys. I asked why. He said and I quote, "I'm a rifle hunter, when I see an animal, I shoot, the hunts over, when you see an animal, your hunt begins." end quote.....
Rob, I'm gathering such a following in the world of hunting that I never know where my quotes will end up or who will hear them from someone else...

[8D]

Yeah, right.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes.. I enjoy to hunt all sorts of animals and as many ways as I legally can...

Quick Reply: Do you still hunt with guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.